Anti CD47 Drugs Market Overview
The anti CD47 drugs market size is estimated to be worth $0.1 billion in 2023 and is expected to grow at CAGR of 42.9% during the forecast period. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), at present, cancer is the second leading cause of death, worldwide. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) has estimated that, by 2030, over 22 million individuals are likely to be diagnosed with various types of cancer, in the US alone. As a result of the growing patient population affected by this disease, there is a rise in the demand for effective treatment modalities. The conventional approaches, such as chemotherapy, surgery and radiation therapy, employed for the treatment of oncological indication(s) are considered to be inadequate, specifically for late-stage cancers. Therefore, in recent years, the focus of the research community has shifted towards the development of novel treatment modalities, such as T- cell immunotherapies, that exhibit high efficacy. However, certain limitations are associated with the aforementioned class of therapies as well; they have been demonstrated to have off-target and toxic side effects, including cytokine release syndrome and neurotoxicity. This has further led to significant research initiatives aimed at identifying target specific drug candidates. Among such initiatives, CD47, owing to its increased expression on the surface of cancer cells, has emerged as a cancer immune checkpoint biomarker. Published literature further indicates that tumor growth and metastasis can be inhibited by blocking the interaction between CD47 and the signal-regulating protein alpha (SIRPα).
Currently, there are no approved therapies based on the inhibition of CD47 / SIRPα pathway for advanced stage oncological indication(s), including myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and small cell lung cancer (SCLC). Drug developers across the world claim to be evaluating several therapeutics, having dual specificities, in order to enhance the efficacy and expand the number of target modalities. In other words, candidates capable of targeting biomarkers, such as HER2, PD-L1, CD-38, CD-40 and CD-20, in addition to CD47, are being investigated across several studies. Even though majority of the drug candidates are currently in preclinical / initial clinical stages, developers are optimistic regarding the therapeutic potential of this emerging class of drugs. Validation of the efficacy of anti-CD47 therapeutics as a promising treatment for oncological indications can be further asserted through the rapidly growing number of research publications, patents and clinical trials focused on this subject. We believe that this niche, but upcoming market, is poised to witness healthy market growth during the forecast period, with pioneers in the field likely to benefit from the first-to-market advantage.
Key Companies in Anti CD47 Drugs Market
Examples of key companies engaged in development of anti CD47 drugs (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Abpro, ALX Oncology, Apmonia Therapeutics, Arch Oncology, Aurigene, Bristol Myers Squibb, EpicentRx, Forty Seven, ImmuneOncia Therapeutics, ImmuneOnco Biopharmaceuticals, Innovent Biologics, KAHR Medical, Light Chain Bioscience, Morphiex and Trillium Therapeutics. This anti CD47 drugs market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the companies developing anti CD47 therapy, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Anti CD47 Drugs Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of anti CD47 drugs market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In September 2023, Phanes Therapeutics announced that the first patient has been dosed in the Phase 1 clinical study of PT217, a first-in-class native IgG-like bispecific antibody (bsAb), targeting DLL3 and CD47 used for the treatment of patients suffering from small cell lung cancer and other neuroendocrine tumors.
- In May 2023, Ichnos Sciences announced that FDA has granted an orphan drug designation to ISB 1442, the first-in-class biparatopic 2+1 BEAT®bispecific antibody targeting CD38 and CD47, for the treatment of patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma.
- In April 2023, ALX Oncology Holdings entered into a clinical trial collaboration and supply agreement with Sanofi in order to evaluate the combination of evorpacept and SARCLISA used for the treatment of patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma.
Scope of the Report
The “Anti CD47 Drugs Market by Target Disease Indication (Acute Myeloid Leukemias, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, Colorectal Cancers, Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma, Myelodysplastic Syndromes, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancers, Ovarian Epithelial Cancer, Oral Muscositis, Small Cell Lung Cancers), Type of Molecule (Biologics and Small Molecule) Key Players and Key Geographical Regions (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Australia, China, India and Israel): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2021-2035” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market share, market forecast, market outlook and future opportunities for the anti CD47 drugs market, during the forecast period. The market research report features an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various stakeholders engaged in anti CD47 drugs market. Amongst other elements, the market research report features:
- A detailed overview of the current market landscape of CD47 targeting therapeutics, along with information on several relevant parameters, such as phase of development (clinical and preclinical), target disease indication(s), therapeutic area (hematological malignancies, dermatological disorders, solid tumors, unspecified oncological disorders, and other disorders), target molecule, type of molecule (biological and small molecules), type of therapy (monotherapies, and combination therapies), type of biologic (monoclonal antibody, bi-specific antibody, recombinant fusion protein, peptide), route of administration (intravenous, subcutaneous, and intraperitoneal), and special drug designation awarded (if any). In addition, it presents details of the companies engaged in the development of CD47 targeting therapeutics, as well as information on their year of establishment, company size (in terms of employee count), and location of respective headquarters.
- Elaborate profiles of key players engaged in the development of CD47 targeting therapeutics. Each profile features a brief overview of the company, details on its drug candidates, financial information (if available), recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- A detailed analysis of completed, ongoing and planned clinical trials of various CD47 targeting therapeutics, based on several relevant parameters, such as trial registration year, number of patients enrolled, gender of patients enrolled, trial phase, recruitment status and study design, leading sponsors / collaborators, most active players (in terms of number of trials conducted), type of organization, popular therapeutic areas, and regional distribution of trials.
- A detailed review of close to 600 peer-reviewed, scientific articles related to research on CD47 targeting therapies over the past few years, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of publication, type of publication, therapeutic area, target indication and key journals (in terms of number of articles published).
- An analysis of the recent partnerships inked between various players engaged in the development of CD47 targeting therapies, during the period 2016-2021, based on several relevant parameters, such as number of partnership instances, type of partnerships, regional distribution (continent and country-wise) and most active players (in terms of number of partnership).
- A detailed analysis of various investments, such as venture capital financing, debt financing, grants / awards, capital raised from IPOs and subsequent offerings that were undertaken by companies engaged in anti CD47 drugs market, during the period 2016-2021.
- An analysis highlighting the key opinion leaders (KOLs) in anti CD47 drugs market. It features a 2×2 matrix assessing the relative experience of KOLs shortlisted based on their contributions (in terms of involvement in various clinical studies) in this domain, and a schematic world map representation, indicating the geographical location of eminent scientists / researchers engaged in the development of CD47-based therapies.
- An analysis highlighting various social media trends (Twitter), along with information on prominent accounts, popular keywords and hashtags, as well as year and number of tweets added by players engaged in the development of CD47-based therapies.
- An analysis of the companies engaged within anti CD47 drugs market, featuring a 3-D bubble chart analysis of different peer groups (North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific), based on various parameters, such as pipeline strength, portfolio diversity and portfolio strength
- An analysis of big pharma players engaged in anti CD47 drugs market, featuring a wind rose chart based on several relevant parameters, such as number of therapeutics under development, phase of development, line of therapy, number of indications targeted and years of experience.
- An analysis of the start-ups (established between 2011-2020; less than 200 employees) engaged in the development of CD47 based therapeutics, based on several parameters, such as number of candidates in discovery, preclinical and clinical phases of development, number of indications targeted, amount raised, number of investors, type of funding and number of deals inked.
The key objective of anti CD47 drugs market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market value, statistics and future opportunity for anti CD47 drugs market during the forecast period. Further, we have provided an informed estimate of the market’s evolution, during the forecast period 2021-2035, based on several relevant parameters, such as adoption trends, and expected price variations for these products. The market report features the likely distribution of the current and forecasted opportunity within the anti CD47 drugs market across [A] target disease indication (acute myeloid leukemias, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, colorectal cancers, diffuse large b-cell lymphoma, myelodysplastic syndromes, non-small cell lung cancers, ovarian epithelial cancer, oral muscositis, small cell lung cancers), [B] type of molecule (biologics and small molecules), [C] key players and [D] key geographical regions (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Australia, China, India and Israel). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are anti CD47 drugs? Answer:
Anti CD47 drugs involve inhibition of CD47 pathway for advanced stage oncological indications, including myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and small cell lung cancer (SCLC).
Question 2: How big is the anti CD47 drugs market? Answer:
The anti CD47 drugs market size is estimated to be worth $0.1 billion in 2023.
Question 3: What is the projected anti CD47 drugs market growth? Answer:
The anti CD47 drugs market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of over 42.9% during the forecast period.
Question 4: Who are the leading companies in the anti CD47 drugs market? Answer:
Examples of key companies engaged in development of anti CD47 drugs (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Abpro, ALX Oncology, Apmonia Therapeutics, Arch Oncology, Aurigene, Bristol Myers Squibb, EpicentRx, Forty Seven, ImmuneOncia Therapeutics, ImmuneOnco Biopharmaceuticals, Innovent Biologics, KAHR Medical, Light Chain Bioscience, Morphiex and Trillium Therapeutics.
Question 5: How many drug candidates are currently being evaluated by companies engaged in the anti CD47 drugs market? Answer:
Over 75 anti CD47 drug candidates are currently being evaluated in various stages of development.
Question 6: How much funding has been raised by stakeholders engaged in the anti CD47 drugs market? Answer:
Over USD 3.5 billion has been raised by stakeholders engaged in the anti CD47 drugs market, highlighting the ongoing research in this industry.
Question 7: Which region is the hub for companies engaged in the anti CD47 drugs industry? Answer:
North America emerged as the hub for companies engaged in the anti CD47 drugs market, with over 40% of the players established in the region.