Coronavirus Preventive Vaccines Market Overview
[COVID-19 SERIES] New coronavirus (COVID-19) is a previously unidentified strain of coronavirus, that first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. The virus belongs to the same family as the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). On 30th January 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus outbreak as a global health emergency. In fact, the virus is estimated to have infected more than 45,000 individuals, around the globe (estimates till the second week of February 2020). In order to deal with this outbreak and prevent the spread of virus to new geographies, countries are adopting various precautions.
The WHO has recently released the Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan (SPRP) that lays out activities and resources needed by international health organizations globally, including WHO, to implement priority public health measures in support of countries to prepare and respond to COVID-19 for a period between February to April 2020.
More than 35 pharmaceutical / biotechnology companies, government agencies, and research institutes have disclosed research programs focused on developing vaccines / drugs to prevent or treat COVID-19 infections. In addition, close to 250 diagnostic tests are currently available / being developed for effective diagnosis of patients. The rising healthcare burden of the disease has also attracted significant funding to fuel drug development efforts in this space; recent funding initiatives include USD 100 million funding by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and USD 26 million vaccine development fund by the UK government.
Recent Developments in Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of novel coronavirus COVID-19. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In September 2023, Pfizer and BioNTech announced the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of their COVID-19 vaccine for individuals aged 12 and older in 2023-2024. Additionally, emergency use authorization has been granted for children aged 6 months to 11 years.
- In September 2023, Moderna received the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for updated covid-19 vaccine, Spikevax®, for ages 12 years and above.
- In August 2023, The National Institutes of Health (NIH) inked partnership with Exothera in order to develop the manufacturing process for NIH’s intranasal vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).
Scope of the Report
The “Novel coronavirus (COVID-19): Preventive Vaccines, Therapeutics and Diagnostics in Development” report features an extensive study of the vaccine / drug candidates and diagnostic tests being investigated for COVID-19 infection prevention, treatment and diagnosis. Amongst other elements, the report includes:
- A detailed assessment of the current market landscape of vaccines and drugs being developed for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 infection, providing information on the developer(s), phase of development (clinical, preclinical, discovery) of product candidates, type of molecule (vaccines, antibodies, small molecules, others), mechanism of action.
- A detailed clinical trial analysis of completed, ongoing and planned studies of candidates being evaluated for the treatment of COVID-19, highlighting prevalent trends across various relevant parameters, such as current trial status, trial registration date, enrolled patient population and regional distribution of trials, type of drug being evaluated, phase of development, study design, leading industry and non-industry players (in terms of number of trials conducted), study focus, and clinical endpoints.
- A detailed assessment of the diagnostic tests being developed for the diagnosis of COVID-19 infection, providing information on test developer(s), development geography, technology being used in the test, type of test and test purpose.
- An analysis depicting the prevalent and emerging trends related to this domain as represented on the social media platform, Twitter. In addition to providing information on day-on-day trends related to the volume of tweets, the analysis highlights the most frequently talked about areas, active players, and influential authors.
- An in-depth analysis of more than 2,100 grants that have been awarded to research institutes engaged in projects related to coronavirus, highlighting various important parameters associated with grants, such as year of award, support period, amount awarded, funding institute, administration institute center, funding institute center, funding mechanism, spending categorization, grant type, responsible study section, focus area, type of recipient organization and prominent program officers. It also features a detailed 2X2 plot comparing the key opinion leaders based on parameters, such as amount awarded and number of awarded grants.
- An analysis of the investments made across different companies/ academic institutes driving development efforts in this space. The analysis specifically highlights the key investors involved in this space.
Elaborate profiles of the key players involved in vaccine / drug and diagnostic development. Each profile features a brief overview of the company, information on its development programs, details related to funding, and collaborations related to COVID-19.