Orthokeratology is defined as the use of custom designed (as per the patient’s needs) and fitted contact lenses that are used to improve vision. This is achieved by temporarily reshaping the patient’s cornea. Majority of these novel ortho-k lenses are worn at night, during the sleep cycle, to reshape the front surface of the eye. It is worth highlighting that the United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) has recently stated that ortho-k lenses are safe for use by patients belonging to different age groups, including young children and adults, as long as the specialized contact lenses are made from certain highly gas-permeable materials. Further, as per a recent study, 80% of patients who are treated with orthokeratology are successful.
These promising results, combined with increasing FDA approvals and multiple initiatives by the developers engaged in this industry are some of the drivers in this domain. Some of the recent developments within the orthokeratology lens market include:
- Signing of partnership agreement between Johnson & Johnson Vision Care and Menicon for the development of therapeutic contact lenses in order to curb the rising progression of Myopia in Children.
- Acquisition of DreamLens by Truform Optics, to augment the company’s orthokeratology product pipeline.
The Orthokeratology Lens Market: Pipeline Review, Developer Landscape and Competitive Insights, 2023-2035 report features an extensive study on the marketed / in development products.
This report provides an in-depth analysis of the product pipeline and developer companies, highlighting the current treatment practices, emerging products, and market share of the individual products. In addition to other elements, the study includes detailed assessment of the current market landscape, providing information about the product’s mechanism of action, pharmacological studies, regulatory milestones, and other development activities.
One of the key objectives of the report was to estimate the existing market size and the future opportunity of orthokeratology lens, over the next twelve years. Based on multiple parameters, such as disease prevalence, anticipated adoption of the forecasted products and the likely selling price of such therapeutic products, we have provided informed estimates on the evolution of the market for the period 2023-2035.
Scope of the Report
The study presents an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various industry stakeholders engaged in this domain, across different segments as defined in the below table:
|Key Report Attributes
Type of Product
- Product type A
- Product type B
- Product type C
- Product type D
- Very small companies
- Small companies
- Mid-sized companies
- Large companies
- Very large companies
Scale of Operation
Key Geographical Indications
- North America
- Middle East and North Africa
- Rest of the World
- 15% Free Customization Option (equivalent to 5 analyst working days)
Amongst other elements, the report includes:
- An executive summary of the insights captured during our research, offering a high-level view on the current state of the orthokeratology lens market and its likely evolution in the short to mid and long term.
- A general overview of orthokeratology, along with information on currently available treatments, prevalent trends in the market and future perspective.
- A detailed assessment of the therapeutic pipeline activity and therapeutic assessment of the products by product type, mechanism of action and several other parameters across the complete product development cycle.
- Detailed profiles of the players that are engaged in the development of orthokeratology lens, featuring overview of the company, its financial information (if available), a description of its product portfolio, recent collaborations and an informed future outlook.
- An insightful analysis highlighting the key opinion leaders (KOLs) in this domain, featuring an analysis of the various principal investigators of clinical trials related to orthokeratology lens, considering them to be KOLs, who are actively involved in R&D of orthokeratology lens. In addition, it compares the relative expertise of KOLs based on a proprietary scoring criterion with that of a third party.
- A detailed analysis of completed, ongoing and planned clinical studies, based on the various relevant parameters, such as trial registration year, trial phase, number of patients enrolled, study design, trial recruitment status, and trial focus, highlighting leading sponsors, type of organization, and regional distribution of trials. In addition, it features an insightful clinical end-points analysis.
- An analysis of the partnerships that have been established in the domain, over the last five years, covering acquisitions / mergers, clinical trial agreements, commercialization agreements, research agreements, IP licensing agreements, product / technology licensing agreements, product development agreements, and other relevant deals.
- An analysis of the investments made at various stages of development, such as seed financing, venture capital financing, debt financing, grants / awards, capital raised from IPOs and subsequent offerings, by companies that are engaged in this field.
- An insightful market assessment summary, highlighting the commercial attractiveness of commercially available orthokeratology lens taking into consideration size of enrolled patient population, treatment type and dosing frequency, and target patient population, expected launch date and size of developer company.
In order to account for future uncertainties associated with some of the key parameters and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
- In the coming years, the market is anticipated to grow at a significant pace owing to the rising awareness of the disease and increasing interest of stakeholders to invest in this field.
- More novel therapy solutions are being developed by various industry as well as non-industry stakeholders.
- The significant impact on market size can also be attributed to the contributions of several big pharma players being actively involved in evaluation of various therapy candidates in this field.
- With various potential therapies under clinical investigation, a marked rise is anticipated in the number of new entrants in the market, in the coming years.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the prevalent rends related to orthokeratology lens?
- What are the key challenges faced by stakeholders engaged in this domain?
- Who are the leading industry and non-industry players in this market?
- What are the contributions of big pharma players in this field?
- Who are the key opinion leaders / experts in this field?
- Who are the key investors in this domain?
- What kind of partnership models are commonly adopted by industry stakeholders?
- What is the growth rate of orthokeratology lens market?
- Which region has the highest growth rate in the orthokeratology lens market?
- What are the factors that are likely to influence the evolution of this upcoming market?
Table of Contents
2. Executive Summary
4. Pipeline Review
4.1. Chapter Overview
4.2. Orthokeratology Lens: Pipeline Analysis
4.2.1. Analysis by Type of Product
4.2.2. Analysis by Mechanism of Action
4.2.3. Analysis by Target Disease Indication
4.2.4. Analysis by Therapeutic Area
4.3. Orthokeratology Lens: Developer Analysis
4.3.1. Analysis by Year of Establishment
4.3.2. Analysis by Company Size
4.3.3. Analysis by Geographical Location
4.3.4. Most Active Players: Analysis by Number of Products
5. Company Profiles
6. KOL Analysis
7. Partnerships and Collaborations
8. Funding and Investment Analysis
9. Clinical Trials Analysis
10. Market Sizing and Opportunity Analysis
11. Executive Insights
12. Concluding Remarks
13. Appendix 1: Tabulated Data
14. Appendix 2: List of Companies and Organizations