RNAi Therapeutics and Technology Market Overview
The RNAi therapeutics and technology market is estimated to be worth $1.2 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17% during the forecast period. RNAi therapy has garnered significant attention post the 2006 Nobel Prize that was awarded to Andrew Fire and Craig Mello for the discovery of RNA interference technology (RNAi). Subsequently, upon the approval of the first RNAi therapy, ONPATTRO®, in 2018, the RNAi therapeutics and technology market has witnessed a further surge in activity. Since then, three more RNAi therapy, namely (in chronological order of approval year) GIVLAARI® (November 2019), LEQVIO® (October 2020) and OXLUMO™ (November 2020), have been approved by regulatory authorities. In addition, over 200 RNAi therapeutics are being evaluated across several clinical trials for the treatment of a wide range of disease indications. The ongoing research and development efforts are driven by the various advantages offered by RNA interference technology; these include higher efficacy and enhanced potency at reduced effector molecule concentrations, over other modalities based on the anti-sense approach. RNAi therapy have also been identified as potential candidates for the treatment of COVID-19.
However, despite the numerous benefits offered by RNAi therapy, developers often face concerns related to the stability and targeted delivery of their candidates. In order to mitigate the aforementioned challenges, several companies have developed novel RNA interference technology and delivery systems to ensure target specific delivery of these molecules. Such advancements have allowed therapy developers to shift their focus towards the use of RNAi therapeutics and RNA interference technology. Initiatives are also being undertaken to explore the vast potential associated with such therapeutic modalities for the control of disease-associated gene expression. In addition to effective gene silencing, RNA interference technology can be deployed for applications related to precision medicine. Studies have also demonstrated the safety of RNAi therapeutics for in systemic delivery, paving the way for systemic applications of the RNAi therapy. The high specificity, efficiency, and long term and stable gene silencing capabilities of RNAi therapeutics are believed to offer the potential to revolutionize the biopharmaceutical industry. As a result, several big pharma players have also undertaken various initiatives in this field of research. In the last five years, USD 8.5 billion has been invested to enable the advancement of ongoing research efforts. Moreover, 3,000+ articles related to RNAi therapeutics and technologies have been published. It is also worth highlighting that over 2,100 patents have been filed / granted, highlighting the continuous pace of ongoing innovation in this field. Given the high research activity and ongoing technology advancements, the RNAi therapeutics and technology market is poised to witness a steady market growth during the forecast period.
Key RNAi Companies in RNAi Therapeutics and Technology Market
Examples of key companies engaged in RNAi therapeutics and technology market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AgelessRx, ANOVA Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Betterhumans, BioAge Labs, bioXcellerator, Cambrian Biopharma, Gero.ai, Mayo Clinic, Rejuvenate Bio and UT Health San Antonio. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the RNAi companies, worldwide.
Recent Developments in RNAi Therapeutics and Technology Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of RNAi therapeutics and technology market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In August 2023, siRNA Immunology Drug SRN-001 developed by siRNAgen Therapeutics completed phase 1a clinical trials.
- In July 2023, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals entered into a strategic agreement with Roche in order to develop and commercialize zilebesiran, Alynlam’s investigational RNAi therapeutic used for the treatment of patients suffering from hypertension.
- In June 2023, Charles River collaborated with Curigin with an aim to produce oncolytic RNAi gene therapy.
Scope of the Report
The “RNAi Therapeutics and Technology Market (Focus on siRNA, miRNA, shRNA and DNA) (3rd Edition) by Key Therapeutic Areas (Oncological Disorders, Genetic Disorders, Metabolic Disorders, Hematological Disorders, Ophthalmic Disorders and Other Disorders), Route of Administration (Subcutaneous, Intravenous, Topical and Intradermal), Leading Industry Players, Type of RNAi Molecule (siRNA and shRNA) and Key Geographical Regions (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2035” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market forecast and future opportunities for the companies associated with the RNAi therapeutics and technology market during the forecast period. The market research report also includes a detailed analysis of key drivers and trends within RNAi therapeutics and technology market.
Amongst other elements, the market research report features:
A detailed overview of the overall market landscape of players engaged in the development of RNAi therapeutics, based on several relevant parameters, such as phase of development (marketed, clinical, and preclinical / discovery stage) of pipeline candidates, target disease indication(s), key therapeutic areas (oncological disorders, infectious diseases, genetic disorders, ophthalmic diseases, respiratory disorders, hepatic disorders, metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disorders, dermatological disorders and other disorders), type of RNAi molecule (siRNA, miRNA, shRNA, sshRNA and DNA), target gene, route of administration and special drug designations (if any).
- A detailed overview of the players engaged in the development of RNAi therapeutics, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of establishment, company size, location of headquarters and regional landscape.
- A competitiveness analysis of RNAi therapeutic developers, based on developer strength (in terms of employee count and years of experience) and product portfolio strength (in terms of number of RNAi molecules across different phases of development, type of RNAi molecule offered, purpose of technology and target therapeutic area).
- Elaborate profiles of drug candidates that are in the advanced stages of development (phase II / III and above). Each drug profile features information on the current development status of the drug, along with details on its developer, mechanism of action, route of administration, affiliated technology Platform (if available), dosage and recent clinical trial results.
- An overview of the current market landscape of technology platforms available for the development of RNAi therapeutics, along with information on their developer, purpose of technology, type of molecule (s) delivered and type of cell (s) / tissue (s) targeted. In addition, the chapter includes information on technology developer(s), highlighting the year of their establishment, company size and location of headquarters. The chapter also includes brief profiles of key RNAi-based drug discovery / development technology platforms and drug delivery technologies (shortlisted on the basis of competitiveness score). Each profile features details on the various pipeline molecules that have been / are being developed using the technology and insights from patents associated with the technology.
- An insightful technology competitiveness analysis, benchmarking RNAi technologies, based on supplier power (in terms of company size and years of experience) and key technology specifications. The analysis was designed to enable stakeholder companies to compare their existing capabilities within and beyond their respective peer groups and identify opportunities to achieve a competitive edge in the industry.
- A detailed analysis of the target indications (segregated by various therapeutic areas, including oncological disorders, infectious diseases, metabolic disorders, ophthalmic diseases and genetic disorders) that are currently the prime focus of companies engaged in the development of RNAi therapeutics.
- An analysis of completed, ongoing and planned clinical studies, based on several relevant parameters, such as trial registration year, current status, phase of development, type of RNAi molecule, enrolled patient population and regional distribution of trials.
- An analysis highlighting the key opinion leaders (KOLs) in RNAi therapeutics and technology market. It features a 2X2 analysis to assess the relative experience of certain KOLs who were shortlisted based on their contributions (in terms of involvement in various clinical studies) in this field.
- An in-depth analysis of patents related to RNAi therapeutics, filed / granted, since 2016, based on type of patent (granted patents, patent applications and others), publication year, regional applicability, CPC symbols, emerging focus areas, leading industry / non-industry players (in terms of the number of patents filed / granted), and patent valuation.
- A detailed review of around 3,000 peer-reviewed, scientific articles related to research on RNAi therapeutics, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of publication, type of publication, popular keywords, top journals, top publishers, key copyright holders and key funding institutes.
- An analysis of the various partnerships related to RNAi therapeutics inked by players engaged in RNAi therapeutics and technology market, based on various parameters, such as the type of partnership, year of partnership, target disease indication, therapeutic area, type of RNAi molecule, financial details (wherever applicable), focus area of collaboration and most active players (in terms of number of partnerships).
- A detailed analysis of various investments made by players engaged in RNAi therapeutics and technology market, during the period 2016-2021, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of funding, type of funding (seed financing, venture capital financing, IPOs, secondary offerings, debt financing, grants and other offerings), amount invested, type of RNAi molecule, most active players (in terms of number and amount of funding instances) and key investors (in terms of number of instances).
- An elaborate discussion on the various commercialization strategies that can be adopted by drug developers engaged in RNAi therapeutics and technology market, across different stages of RNA itherapy development, including prior to drug launch, at / during drug launch and post-marketing of the drug.
- An elaborate discussion on the use of miRNA as a potential biomarker, along with a list of diagnostic kits that are either available in the market, or likely to be approved in the foreseen future.
- A detailed analysis of the companies that are actively supporting the development of RNAi therapeutics and technology market, including contract manufacturers, contract researcher organizations and other service providers based on various parameters, such as type of service provider, location of their headquarters and type of RNAi molecule developed.
- An informed estimate of the annual clinical and commercial demand for RNAi therapeutics, taking into account the target patient population in ongoing and planned clinical trials of RNAi therapeutics, sponsored by both industry and non-industry players.
- A detailed analysis capturing affiliated trends, key drivers and challenges, under a comprehensive SWOT framework, featuring a Harvey ball analysis, highlighting the relative impact of each SWOT parameter on the RNAi therapeutics and technology market.
One of the key objectives of this market report is to provide a detailed market forecast analysis in order to estimate the existing market size and future opportunity of the RNAi therapeutics and technology market. We have provided informed estimates on the evolution of the market for the forecast period 2022-2035. Our year-wise projections of the current market size and future opportunity have further been segmented on the basis of [A] key therapeutic areas (oncological disorders, genetic disorders, metabolic disorders, hematological disorders, ophthalmic disorders and other diosrders), [B] route of administration (subcutaneous, intravenous, topical and intradermal), [C] share of leading industry players, [D] type of RNAi molecule (siRNA and shRNA) and [E] key geographical regions (North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the market’s evolution.
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are RNAi therapeutics? Answer:
RNAi therapeutics is a novel class of innovative medicine, utilizing the RNA interference (RNAi) property of genes to regulate expression systems naturally, within the cells.
Question 2: How big is the RNAi therapeutics and technology market? Answer:
The RNAi therapeutics and technology market size is estimated to be worth $1.2 billion in 2022.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the RNAi therapeutics and technology market? Answer:
The RNAi therapeutics and technology market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17% during the forecast period 2022 - 2035.
Question 4: How many patents related to RNAi therapeutics and RNAi technology have been filed / granted over the last few years? Answer:
Since 2016, over 2,100 patents have been filed / granted related to the RNAi therapeutics and RNAi technology.
Question 5: How much money has been invested in the RNAi therapeutics and technology market over the last few years? Answer:
Since 2014, more than USD 8.5 billion has been invested by various industry and non-industry players in the RNAi therapeutics and technology market, highlighting the growing interest of stakeholders in this field.
Question 6: Which region is the hub for RNAi companies engaged in the RNAi therapeutics and technology market? Answer:
North America emerged as the hub for RNAi companies engaged in the RNAi therapeutics and technology market, with over 25 RNAi companies established in the region.