SARM1 Inhibitor Market Overview
The SARM1 inhibitor market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 102% during the forecast period, post the first launch which is expected in 2033. Across the globe, over 6.5 million neurological disorder related deaths are reported annually. Further, according to a report published by the United Nations (UN), close to 1 billion people, globally, suffer from various types of neurological disorders. The growing number of patients suffering from neurodegenerative disorders, such as peripheral neuropathy ms, has imposed a huge burden, in terms of finances as well as resources, on the overall healthcare system. In fact, the annual expenditure associated with neurological disorder care in 2020 was more than USD 655 billion, in the US alone. Given the fact that majority of the current treatment options have proven to be inadequate, especially for axonal degeneration associated neurological disorders, there is a high demand for highly effective therapeutics targeting neurological disorders. Interestingly, Sterile Alpha and toll / Interleukin-1 Receptor Motif-Containing 1 (SARM1), an NADase enzyme, has been found to play a critical role in inducing axonal degeneration, which is a central pathological feature in various neurodegenerative disorders.
Presently, several industry and non-industry stakeholders are evaluating SARM1 inhibitors as potential therapeutic agents for the treatment of neurological disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and multiple sclerosis across various preclinical studies and early stages of clinical development, worldwide. Given the encouraging research outcomes, the players in SARM1 inhibitor market have received more than USD 10 million in grants, since 2014, from the various private and public organizations. Additionally, several patents related to SARM1 inhibitors have been recently filed / granted, demonstrating the continued innovation in SARM1 inhibitor market. Driven by the ongoing pace of innovation in SARM1 inhibitor market, increasing R&D activity and promising pre-clinical data, several promising leads are anticipated to be commercially launched over the coming decade and SARM1 inhibitor market is anticipated to witness substantial market growth during the forecast period.
Key Companies / Organizations in SARM1 Inhibitor Market
Examples of key companies / organizations engaged in SARM1 inhibitor market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Disarm Therapeutics, Nura Bio and Washington University. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the companies developing SARM1 inhibitor therapeutics worldwide.
Recent Developments in SARM1 Inhibitor Market
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of SARM1 inhibitor market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In August 2023, Nura Bio announced the initiation of the Phase I clinical trial of SARM1 inhibitor, NB-4746, which is used for the treatment of debilitating neurological diseases.
- In March 2023, Artivila Therapeutics identified NAD(+) hydrolase SARM1 (SAMD2; MyD88-5) inhibitors used for the treatment of patients suffering from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and peripheral neuropathy ms.
- In February 2023, Nura Bio published NAD(+) hydrolase SARM1 (SAMD2; MyD88-5) inhibitors which is useful for the treatment of neurological disorders.
Scope of the Report
The ‘SARM1 Inhibitor Market by Target Indications (Multiple Sclerosis, Peripheral, Central and Ocular Nervous System Disorders, Peripheral Neuropathies, Glaucoma and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), Type of Molecule (Small Molecules and Biologics), Drug Developers, Drug Candidates and Key Geographical Regions (North America and Europe): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2040’ market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market share, market forecast, market outlook and future opportunities for the SARM1 inhibitor market. The market research report features an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various stakeholders engaged in this market space.
Amongst other elements, the market report includes:
- A brief introduction to SARM1 inhibitors therapeutics, featuring information on role of SARM1 pathway in neurodegenerative disorders, mechanism of action of SARM1, along with mechanism of SARM1 pathway inhibition. This chapter further features details related to the recent advancements and future prospects in SARM1 inhibitor market.
- A detailed overview of the current market landscape of SARM1 inhibitors therapeutics that are currently being researched in pre-clinical studies, featuring an elaborate analysis of such therapies based on several relevant parameters, such as phase of development (preclinical and discovery), type of molecule (small molecules and biologics), target indication (unspecified neurological disorders, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, peripheral neuropathies, glaucoma and peripheral, central and ocular nervous system disorders) and type of developers (industry and non-industry). In addition, it provides details on the SARM1 inhibitors therapeutic developers, along with analyses based on their year of establishment, company size, leading players (in terms of number of SARM1 inhibitors candidates) and geographical location of the players.
- An insightful company competitiveness analysis of SARM1 inhibitors therapeutic developers (industry and non-industry players), taking into consideration supplier strength (based on company’s experience in this field) and company competitiveness (based on phase of development, target indications and type of molecule).
- Elaborate profiles of prominent players that are engaged in evaluating SARM1 inhibitors therapeutics, featuring a brief overview of the company, along with information on product portfolio, patent portfolio, recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- A detailed analysis of more than 120 peer-reviewed, scientific articles related to research on SARM1 inhibitors therapeutics, over last 12 years, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of publication, type of publication, most popular journals, popular keywords, most active publishers, most popular affiliations and distribution by geography.
- An in-depth analysis on various grants, received since the year 2014, by players engaged in SARM1 inhibitor market based on year of award, support period, amount awarded, funding institute, type of grant application, activity code, type of study section, purpose of grant, prominent program officers, recipient organizations, popular NIH departments and location of recipient organizations.
- An in-depth analysis of the various patents that have been filed / granted related to SARM1 inhibitors therapeutics, till 2022, taking into consideration several relevant parameters, such as type of patent, publication year, application year, geographical region, CPC symbols, type of applicant, key focus area, patent age and leading players (in terms of size of intellectual property portfolio). It also features a patent benchmarking analysis and a detailed patent characteristics and patent valuation analysis.
- Information on recent developments (partnerships and collaborations, and funding and investments) reported by several players engaged in the SARM1 inhibitor market.
The key objective of SARM1 inhibitor market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market value, statistics and future opportunity for SARM1 inhibitor market during the forecast period, based on several relevant parameters, such as target patient population, likely launch year of therapy candidates, approval timeline of drugs, likely price points and expected rates of adoption, across various geographical regions. The report also features the likely distribution of the current and forecasted opportunity related to SARM1 inhibitor market across type of molecule (small molecules and biologics), target indication (multiple sclerosis, peripheral, central and ocular nervous system disorders, peripheral neuropathies, glaucoma and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), drug developers, drug candidates and key geographical regions (North America and Europe).
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What is a SARM1 inhibitor? Answer:
A SARM1 inhibitor acts as a potential therapeutic agent for the treatment of neurological disorders by blocking the SARM1 enzyme which has been identified to play a crucial role in inducing axonal degeneration.
Question 2: What is the projected market growth of the SARM1 inhibitor market? Answer:
The SARM1 inhibitor market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 102% during the forecast period 2033 - 2040.
Question 3: Who are the leading companies / organizations in the SARM1 inhibitor market? Answer:
Examples of key companies / organizations engaged in SARM1 inhibitor market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Disarm Therapeutics, Nura Bio and Washington University.
Question 4: How much grant has been received in SARM1 inhibitor market? Answer:
Since 2014, the players in SARM1 inhibitor market have received more than USD 10 million in grants, from the various private and public organizations.
Question 5: Which geographies are key hubs for SARM1 inhibitor developers? Answer:
North America is the hub for SARM1 inhibitor developers, with nearly 35% of the companies based in the region.
Question 6: How many SARM1 inhibitor are currently in preclinical stage of development? Answer:
Presently, over 55% of SARM1 inhibitor are currently in preclinical stage of development.
Question 7: Is there any SARM1 inhibitor in clinical trial? Answer:
As of the publication of the report, no SARM1 inhibitor was in clinical trial. However, in August 2023 Nura Bio announced the initiation of phase 1 clinical trial for its oral SARM1 inhibitor targeting Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.