Anti Aging Market Overview
The anti aging market is estimated to grow from $79 million in 2025 to $2.8 billion in 2040, growing at a CAGR of 27% during the forecast period 2025 - 2040. The advancements in healthcare and available technologies have inadvertently led to an increase in the life expectancy of individuals. However, this has also led to a rise in the aging population worldwide. According to the United Nations, the aforementioned trend is one of the key transformations observed in the 21st century; it is expected to have an impact on all sections of the society. Aging is linked to a variety of diseases, including cardiovascular disorders, neurodegenerative disorders, oncological disorders and musculoskeletal disorders, which further puts heavy economic and psychological burden on the patients, their families and the society. As per the World Health Organization, in 2020, close to 1 billion people were estimated to be aged 65 or above, globally. In addition, the share of elderly population is expected to increase from 9.3% in 2020 to 16% in 2050. Aging biology is still a largely unexplored field, in terms of the development of safe and effective novel pharmacotherapies. Anti aging drug, therefore, is an emerging field of medical science focused on reducing or reversing the underlying causes of aging through different mechanisms, in order to extend healthy lifespan of humans.
Given the rapidly growing aging population, the ongoing efforts to discover anti aging drug candidates that enhance the lifespan of an individual by targeting the pathogenesis of aging have become a popular topic for research. At present, various anti aging products and devices, including direct-to-consumer nutraceuticals, plastic surgeries, cosmetics, skincare products, senolytics and devices, are available in the market to slow the process of aging. Further, several start-ups and academic / research institutes across the world are evaluating various types of anti aging drug products, including stem cell therapies, metformin, rapamycin, resveratrol and senolytics (drugs that selectively clear senescent cells), in multiple preclinical / clinical studies. Owing to the encouraging results demonstrating the ability of novel anti aging drug candidates in delaying the aging process, capital investments worth USD 4 billion have been made by various private and public sector investors in the last five years to fund product development initiatives. Moreover, over 660 patents related to anti aging drug and anti ageing therapeutics have been recently filed / granted, demonstrating the continued innovation in this domain. Driven by the growing aging population, ongoing pace of innovation in this field and financial support from investors, the anti ageing market is anticipated to witness substantial market growth during the forecast period.
Key Anti Aging Companies Developing Therapeutics in Anti Aging Market
Examples of key anti aging companies engaged in developing anti aging drug and therapeutics in anti ageing market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AgelessRx, ANOVA Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Betterhumans, BioAge Labs, bioXcellerator, Cambrian Biopharma, Gero.ai, Mayo Clinic, Rejuvenate Bio and UT Health San Antonio. This anti aging market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the anti aging companies providing therapeutics, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Anti Aging Market
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of anti aging drug and anti aeging therapeutics. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In July 2023, researchers from the Harvard Medical School identified the first chemically induced cellular aging reversal using six novel chemical compounds that have the potential to restore the youthful state of cells within a week.
- In January 2023, a research study conducted by the University of Bristol and the MultiMedica Group in Italy identified a novel anti aging gene, having the potential to restore the age of heart cells by 10 years.
Scope of the Anti Aging Market Report
The “Anti aging Market - Distribution by Type of Molecule (Biologics and Small Molecules), Type of Aging (Cellular Aging, Immune Aging, Metabolic Aging and Others) and Key Geographies (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Rest of the World) – Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2040” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size and future potential of anti aging drug over the next decade. The market research report features an in-depth analysis of the key drivers and anti ageing market trends..
Amongst other elements, the report includes:
- A detailed assessment of the current market landscape of anti aging drug and anti aging therapeutics, featuring information on phase of development (commercial, phase II, phase I / II, phase I, clinical (phase unknown), discovery / preclinical and undisclosed), type of aging (cellular aging, metabolic aging, immune aging, others and undisclosed), type of molecule (biologics and small molecules), mechanism of action (senolytic, cell regeneration, mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) inhibitor / modulator, adenosine monophosphate (AMP)-kinase / AMP activator, mitochondria inhibitor / modulator and others) and type of developer (industry and non-industry). In addition, the chapter features analyses of anti aging therapeutic developers based on parameters, such as year of establishment, company size, location of headquarters and leading developers (in terms of number of pipeline candidates).
- A competitiveness analysis of anti aging therapeutic developers, based on various relevant parameters, namely supplier power (based on the experience of the developer) and company competitiveness (based on highest phase of development, type of aging and type of molecule).
- An analysis of partnerships that have been inked by stakeholders engaged in anti ageing market, during the period 2018-2022. Further, the partnership activity in this domain has been analyzed based on various parameters, such as year of partnership, type of partnership, most active players (in terms of number of partnerships), type of partner and regional distribution of collaborations.
- A detailed analysis of investments that have been made into companies which are developing proprietary anti ageing drug and anti aging therapeutics, during period 2018-2022. The various types of funding instances reported in anti aging market include pre-seed financing, seed financing, venture capital financing, capital raised from IPOs and subsequent public offerings, grants, crowdfunding, and donations.
- An in-depth analysis of the various patents that have been filed / granted related to anti aging drug and anti aging therapeutics, during 2018-2022, taking into consideration parameters, such as publication year, type of patent, geographical region, CPC symbols, key focus areas, type of applicant, patent age and leading players (in terms of size of intellectual property portfolio). It also features a patent benchmarking analysis and a detailed valuation analysis.
- A detailed review of more than 220 peer-reviewed, scientific articles related to research on anti aging drug and anti ageing therapeutics, during the period 2018-2022, based on several relevant parameters, such as year of publication, type of publication, popular keywords and geography of affiliations. The chapter also provides information on the most popular publisher, most popular journal, most popular affiliations and most popular funding institutes (in terms of number of articles published).
- A qualitative analysis, highlighting the five competitive forces prevalent in anti aging market, including threats for new entrants, bargaining power of suppliers, bargaining power of buyers, threats of substitute products and rivalry among existing competitors.
- Elaborate profiles of prominent players engaged in the development of anti aging drug and anti aging therapeutics, featuring a brief overview of the company, details related to its product portfolio, recent developments and an informed future outlook.
One of the key objectives of this market report is to provide a detailed anti aging market statistics including the existing market size and future opportunity for anti-aging therapeutics, during the forecast period 2022-2040. The anti ageing market research report also includes likely sales forecasts of anti aging therapeutics that are in the mid to late stages of development. Additionally, it features market size projections for the overall anti ageing market, wherein both the current and upcoming opportunity is segmented across [A] type of molecule (biologics and small molecules), [B] type of aging (cellular aging, immune aging, metabolic aging and others) and [C] key geographies (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Rest of the world). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
The opinions and insights presented in this study were influenced by discussions conducted with multiple stakeholders in anti aging market. The market report features detailed transcripts of interviews held with the following individuals:
- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Small Company, Singapore
- President, Small Company, US
- Chief Operating Officer, Small Company, Singapore
- Senior Director of Global Corporate Communications, Small Company,US
- Director and Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Small Company, Malaysia
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are anti aging therapies? Answer:
Anti aging therapies, is an emerging field of medical science focused on reducing or reversing the underlying causes of aging through different mechanisms, in order to extend healthy lifespan of humans.
Question 2: How big is the anti ageing market? Answer:
The anti aging market size for therapeutics is estimated to be worth $79 million in 2022.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the anti-aging market? Answer:
The anti-aging market for therapeutics is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of over 15% during the forecast period 2022 - 2040.
Question 4: Who are the leading anti aging companies developing therapeutics in the anti aging market? Answer:
Examples of key anti aging companies engaged in developing therapeutics in the anti aging market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AgelessRx, ANOVA Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Betterhumans, BioAge Labs, bioXcellerator, Cambrian Biopharma, Gero.ai, Mayo Clinic, Rejuvenate Bio and UT Health San Antonio.
Question 5: How many patents related to anti aging therapies have been filed / granted over the last few years? Answer:
Since 2018, more than 660 patents related to anti ageing therapies have been filed / granted.
Question 6: How much money has been invested by stakeholders in the companies developing therapeutics in anti-aging market? Answer:
Since 2018, over USD 3.5 billion has been invested in companies developing therapies in anti-aging market, highlighting the rising interest of stakeholders in the industry.
Question 7: Which region is the hub for therapeutic developers engaged in the anti ageing market? Answer:
North America emerged as the hub for therapeutic developers engaged in the anti-aging market, with close to 70% of the companies established in the region.