Bioprocess Automation Market
The bioprocess automation market is estimated to be worth $3.8 billion in 2021 and is expected to grow CAGR of 12% during the forecast period. Over the past few decades, biopharmaceuticals have gained significant popularity owing to their therapeutic efficacy, favorable safety profiles and ability to treat a wide variety of disease indications, which are otherwise hard to treat. The success of these interventions has prompted the stakeholders to upgrade the conventional biologics manufacturing equipment. As a result, the domain has witnessed several technological advancements, including the adoption of controllers and automated systems. These systems not only ensure that the processes continue to run within precise limits but also make the necessary adjustments, while minimizing the risk of human errors and improving the product quality. Additionally, these controllers and automation systems have the potential to address a number of challenges associated with traditional bioprocessing systems and offer various additional benefits, such as lowering of production and labor cost (by 20-30%), optimizing the energy consumption (by 5-30%) and increasing the overall productivity (by 10-20%).
Given the various advantages of controllers and automated systems, biopharmaceutical developers and manufacturers are steadily adopting such solutions. Moreover, the recent surge in demand for vaccines amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has also prompted the biopharmaceutical companies to develop automation systems for producing drugs at a faster pace. In addition, several equipment manufacturers offering more user-friendly, controlled, and automated systems, have emerged. In fact, the field has been witnessing a lot of innovations, evident from the number of patents filed for the controllers and automation systems. These controllers and automated systems use process analytical technological tools that can be easily integrated in the bioprocessing unit to improve scalability. Stakeholders have also been focusing on making further improvements and have incorporated a variety of key features, including provisions for alerts / alarms, built-in system process control sensors, remote monitoring features, visual display, and advanced safety provisions. Owing to the rising interest of stakeholders towards technological advancement and adoption of these systems, we believe that the overall bioreactor controller and automation systems market is anticipated to witness substantial market growth during the forecast period.
Key Companies in Bioprocess Automation Market
Examples of key companies engaged in providing bioprocess controllers and automation software in the bioprocess automation market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Cytiva Lifesciences, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Sepragen, Repligen, Applikon Biotechnology, Sartorius, Solaris Biotech and Sysbiotech. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the companies providing systems for bioprocess automation, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Bioprocess Automation Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of bioprocess automation market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In August 2023, Sartorius and Repligen Corporation announced the launch of an integrated bioreactor system that incorporates Repligen XCell® ATF upstream intensification technology into Sartorius’ Biostat STR® bioreactor, simplifying intensified seed train and N perfusion implementation for biopharmaceutical manufacturers.
- In June 2023, Cytiva collaborated with Culture Biosciences to advance innovation in upstream bioprocessing by providing customers greater access to predictive and robust scale-up capabilities.
- In April 2023, Cytiva launched X-platform bioreactors with an aim to simplify single-use upstream bioprocessing operations.
Scope of the Report
The “Bioprocess Automation Market By Type of Controllers (Upstream / Downstream Controller System and Bioprocess Control Software), Scale of Operation (Preclinical / Clinical Operations and Commercial Operations), Mode of Operation (Batch, Fed-Batch and Perfusion), Compatibility with Bioprocessing Systems (Single-Use Systems, and Stainless Steel / Other Systems), and Key Geographical Regions (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2021-2035” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market share, market forecast, market outlook and future opportunities for the bioprocess automation market. The market research report also features an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various industry stakeholders engaged in bioprocess automation market. In addition to other elements, the market research report includes:
- A detailed assessment of the overall market landscape of bioprocess controllers and automation systems (upstream controllers, downstream controller systems and bioprocess control software) based on a number of relevant parameters, such as scale of operation (lab, clinical and commercial), mode of operation (batch, fed-batch and perfusion), key features (scalability / ease to use, visual data display, remote accessibility, data processing capabilities, built-in system control sensors, expansive I/O compatibility and provisions for alarms / alerts), compatibility with the bioprocessing systems (stirred tank (glass), single use bioreactor, stirred tank (steel), fermenter, rocking motion, chromatography system, tangential flow filtration system), type of system(s) (single-use system and multi-use system) and type of processes controlled (cell cultivation, microbial fermentation, chromatography and filtration). In addition, it presents details of the companies developing bioprocess controllers and automation systems, highlighting their year of establishment, company size, and geographical presence.
- A detailed competitiveness analysis of upstream controllers, downstream controller systems and process control software, taking into consideration several relevant parameters, such as the product applicability (scale of operation, processes controlled, mode of operation and stage of bioprocess) and product strength (key features, and compatibility with system).
- Tabulated profiles of the key players providing upstream controllers, downstream controller systems and process control software. Each profile includes an overview of the company, information on the financial performance (if available), product portfolio, recent developments, and an informed future outlook.
- A contemporary market trend analysis, featuring a world map representation to highlight the regional distribution of players engaged in the development of upstream controllers, downstream controller systems and bioprocess control software, along with the information on type of products offered (upstream controllers, downstream controller systems and bioprocess control software). Further, the chapter also presents (a) a heat map representation of upstream controllers, based on compatibility with bioreactor systems, scale of operation and mode of operation, (b) a grid analysis of upstream controllers, based on scale of operation, compatibility with bioreactor systems and processes controlled (c) a grid analysis of downstream controller systems, based on scale of operation, type of systems and key features, (d) an analysis of downstream controller systems, based on mode of operation and application area (e) a grid analysis of bioprocess control software, based on scale of operation, key features and processes controlled and (f) an analysis of bioprocess control software, based on scale of operation and compatibility with bioprocessing systems.
- An in-depth analysis of various patents that have been filed / granted for bioprocess controllers and automation systems, till July 2021, highlighting key trends associated with these patents, across type of patents, publication year, application year, issuing authorities involved, type of organizations, emerging focus area, patent age, CPC symbols, leading patent assignees (in terms of number of patents granted / filed), patent characteristics and geography. It also includes a detailed patent benchmarking and an insightful valuation analysis.
- A detailed brand positioning analysis of the key industry players (including upstream controller developers, downstream controller system developers, and bioprocess control software developers), highlighting the current perceptions regarding their proprietary products by taking into consideration several relevant aspects, such as experience of the manufacturer, number of products offered, product diversity, and number of patents published.
The key objective of bioprocess automation market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market value, statistics and future opportunity for bioprocess automation market during the forecast period. Based on multiple parameters, such as overall bioprocessing equipment market, and adoption rate of automation systems, we have provided an informed estimate of the evolution of the market for the forecast period 2021-2035. Our year-wise projections of the current and future opportunity have further been segmented on the basis of [A] type of controllers (upstream controllers, downstream controller system and bioprocess control software), [B] scale of operation (preclinical / clinical operations and commercial operations), [C] mode of operation (batch, fed-batch and perfusion), [D] compatibility with bioprocessing systems (single-use systems, and stainless steel / other systems), and [E] key geographical regions (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
The opinions and insights presented in the market report are backed by a deep understanding of key insights generated from both secondary and primary research. The information presented in this market research report was also influenced by discussions held with senior stakeholders in this industry.
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are bioprocess automation systems? Answer:
Bioprocess automation systems are self-driven automated controllers which ensure that the bioprocess continues to run within precise limits but also make the necessary adjustments, while minimizing the risk of human errors and improving the product quality.
Question 2: How big is the bioprocess automation market? Answer:
The bioprocess automation market size is estimated to be worth $3.8 billion in 2021.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the bioprocess automation market? Answer:
The bioprocess automation market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of over 12% during the forecast period 2021 - 2030.
Question 4: Who are the leading companies in the bioprocess automation market? Answer:
Examples of key companies engaged in bioprocess automation market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Cytiva Lifesciences, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Sepragen, Repligen, Applikon Biotechnology, Sartorius, Solaris Biotech and Sysbiotech.
Question 5: How many companies are currently engaged in the bioprocess automation market? Answer:
Over 25 companies are currently engaged in the bioprocess automation market.
Question 6: How many automated systems are provided by companies engaged in the bioprocess automation market? Answer:
More than 120 automated systems are currently provided by companies engaged in the bioprocess automation market.
Question 7: How many patents related to the bioprocess automation have been filed / granted till date? Answer:
Over 3,500 patents related to the bioprocess automation have been filed / granted till date.