China Biologics Contract Manufacturing Market Overview
The China biologics contract manufacturing market is estimated to be worth $0.8 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at CAGR of 13% during the forecast period. China represents nearly 18% of the global population. Studies indicate that the Chinese pharmaceutical market is the second largest in terms of annual pharmaceutical revenues, and is estimated to generate more than 10% of the global sales. Till date, over 25 biologics and biosimilar products have been approved in China. In addition, close to 1,000 clinical trials, investigating a variety of biologics and biosimilars for treating a diverse range of diseases, are presently underway in this region. The growing pipeline, coupled to an increasing demand for biopharmaceuticals, has compelled industry stakeholders to enlist the help of capable contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs) and contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs). Due to benefits, such as low labor costs, access to a large indigenous consumer base and a relatively less stringent regulatory environment, several players have demonstrated the preference to partner with contract service providers based in China.
The biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing market in China presently features a mix of large, mid-sized and small players, some of which offer end-to-end solutions, ranging from development and clinical trial services to commercial manufacturing and regulatory consulting. Additionally, in order to attract more foreign clients and stay ahead within a competitive environment, Chinese CMOs are actively expanding their manufacturing related capabilities and capacities. This has led to the establishment of several partnerships and strategic acquisitions.
The novel Coronavirus outbreak in China has resulted in immediate disruptions / slow-down in global pharma / biopharma supply chains. In the short-term, it is anticipated to substantially impact the global contract manufacturing market, specifically those countries that have opted to lockdown. However, in the longer term, we remain bullish on the market growth prospects as we expect biopharma companies to resume normal operations after the COVID-19 pandemic is put under control.
Key Companies in China Biologics Contract Manufacturing Market
Examples of key companies engaged in biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include ChemPartner Biologics, JHL Biotech, JOINN Biologics, MabPlex, Mycenax Biotech and WuXi AppTec. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the contract manufacturing organizations providing biologics manufacturing services in China.
Recent Developments in China Biologics Contract Manufacturing Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of China biologics contract manufacturing market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In August 2023, CanSino entered into a manufacturing agreement with AstraZeneca, leveraging its mRNA manufacturing platform to enhance AstraZeneca's vaccine capabilities.
- In June 2023, WiXu Biologics announced the expansion of its facility aiming to double its total capacity from 12,000L to 24,000L on 30,000 square meters.
Scope of the Report
The “China Biologics Contract Manufacturing Market, 2020-2030” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market share, market growth, market trends, market value, market forecast, market outlook, statistics and future opportunities of the China biologics contract manufacturing market. The market research report also features a detailed analysis of key drivers and trends related to China biologics contract manufacturing market. Amongst other elements, the market research report includes:
- A detailed review of the overall landscape of companies offering contract manufacturing services for biopharmaceuticals in China, along with information on year of establishment, company size, scale of operation (preclinical, clinical and commercial), location of headquarters, number of manufacturing facilities, as well as location of these facilities, type of business segment, type of manufacturing service(s) offered (process development and characterization, method validation and testing, analytical development, stability studies, quality assurance and control, scale-up, downstream processing, regulatory support, data analytics and reporting, and others), type of biologic(s) manufactured (peptides / proteins, antibodies, vaccines, cell therapies, gene therapies, antibody drug conjugates, vectors, biosimilars, nucleic acids and others), type of expression system(s) used (mammalian, microbial and others), type of bioreactor(s) used (single-use bioreactors and stainless steel bioreactors) and its mode of operation (batch, fed-batch and perfusion), type of packaging, and affiliations to regulatory accreditations and certifications (if any).
- An analysis of the various partnerships pertaining to biopharmaceutical manufacturing in China, which have been established since 2016, based on several parameters, such as the year of partnership, type of partnership model adopted, scale of operation, type of biologic, focus area of the deal, target indication, most active players (in terms of number of partnerships signed), and geography.
- An analysis of the various expansion initiatives undertaken by contract manufacturers in China, in order to augment their capabilities, over the period 2016-2020 (till February), taking into consideration several relevant parameters, such as year of expansion, type of expansion (capability expansion, capacity expansion, facility expansion and new facility), scale of operation of manufacturing facility, type of biologic and location of manufacturing facility.
- A clinical trial analysis of completed and active studies related to biopharmaceuticals that have been / are being / are likely to be conducted in China, based on trial registration year, trial phase, trial recruitment status, type of sponsor / collaborator, geography and number of patients enrolled.
- An estimate of the overall, installed capacity for manufacturing biopharmaceuticals, based on data reported by industry stakeholders in the public domain; it highlights the distribution of available biopharmaceutical production capacity on the basis of company size (small, mid-sized, large and very large firms), scale of operation (preclinical, clinical and commercial), key geographical regions (China, Hong-Kong, Taiwan) and expression system used.
- A review of recent initiatives undertaken by big pharma players in China for the manufacturing of biopharmaceuticals, highlighting trends across various parameters, such as number of initiatives, year of initiative, and benchmark analysis of big pharma players.
- A qualitative analysis, highlighting the various factors that need to be taken into consideration by drug / therapy developers while deciding whether to manufacture their respective products in-house or engage the services of a CMO.
- Elaborate profiles of key players that have a diverse range of capabilities for the development, manufacturing and packaging of biopharmaceutical products. Each profile features an overview of the company, its financial performance (if available), information on its service portfolio, details related to manufacturing capabilities and facilities, recent developments (partnerships and expansions), and an informed future outlook.
- A case study comparing the key characteristics of large molecule and small molecule drugs, along with details on the various steps involved in their respective manufacturing processes.
- A discussion on industry affiliated trends, key drivers and challenges, under a SWOT framework, which are likely to impact the evolution of China biologics contract manufacturing market. It also includes a Harvey ball analysis, highlighting the relative impact of each SWOT parameter on industry dynamics.
The key objective of China biologics contract manufacturing market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market share, market growth, market trends, market value, market forecast, market outlook, statistics and future opportunity for China biologics contract manufacturing market during the forecast period. Based on various parameters, such as projected growth of the overall biopharmaceutical market in China, cost of goods sold, and direct manufacturing costs, we have provided an informed estimate of the likely evolution of the market in the short to mid-term and mid to long term, for the forecast period 2020-2030. The market report also provides details on the likely distribution of the current and forecasted opportunity across [A] type of product (active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and finished dosage formulations (FDFs)), [B] types of expression systems used (mammalian, microbial and others), [C] scale of operation (preclinical, clinical and commercial), [D] company size (small, mid-sized and large / very large), and [E] type of biologic (antibody, vaccine and others). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
The opinions and insights presented in the market research report were influenced by discussions held with senior stakeholders in the industry. The market report features detailed transcripts of interviews held with the following industry stakeholders:
- Birgit Schwab, Senior Manager Strategic Marketing, Rentschler Biopharma
- Jeffrey Hung, Chief Commercial Officer, Vigene Biosciences
- Stephen Taylor, Senior Vice President Commercial, FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What is biologics contract manufacturing? Answer:
Biologics contract manufacturing refers to manufacturing services provided by specific organizations to biopharmaceutical product manufacturers.
Question 2: How big is the biologics contract manufacturing market in China? Answer:
The biologics contract manufacturing market size in China is estimated to be worth $0.8 billion in 2020.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the biologics contract manufacturing market in China? Answer:
The biologics contract manufacturing market in China is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13% during the forecast period 2020 – 2030.
Question 4: Who are the leading companies in the Chinese biologics contract manufacturing market? Answer:
Examples of key contract manufacturers engaged in biologics contract manufacturing market in China (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include ChemPartner Biologics, JHL Biotech, JOINN Biologics, MabPlex, Mycenax Biotech and WuXi AppTec.
Question 5: How many companies are currently engaged in the biologics contract manufacturing market in China? Answer:
More than 35 companies are currently engaged in the biologics contract manufacturing market in China, offering various manufacturing services for biologics.
Question 6: How many partnership deals have been inked between the stakeholders engaged in biologics contract manufacturing market in China? Answer:
Over 80 partnership deals have been inked between the stakeholders engaged in biologics contract manufacturing market in China, highlighting the consolidation efforts of players in the industry.
Question 7: How much biologics and biosimilars are approved till date in China? Answer:
Till date, over 25 biologics and biosimilar products have been approved in China.