Vaccine Contract Manufacturing Market Overview
The current vaccine contract manufacturing market is estimated to be worth $1.3 billion, and this value is projected to reach $5.7 billion by 2030. Taking into consideration prevalent (the COVID-19 pandemic) and anticipated future trends, the global vaccines market is expected to be worth around USD 100 billion by 2025. Recent estimates (as reported in April 2021) suggest that more than 1.06 billion doses have been administered across 172 countries, which roughly translates to 19.7 million doses per day. Although the pandemic is responsible for the current surge in the demand for vaccines, according to the WHO, the current global vaccination rate is nearly 85%. As a result, as the global population grows, the demand for manufacturing vaccines is likely to increase, as well. It is worth highlighting that the vaccine development process is characterized by the need for heavy investments in specialized infrastructure and affiliated expertise, and complex R&D and production protocols. Further, vaccine manufacturing is highly regulated, and due to increasing regulatory stringency, it is gradually becoming difficult for vaccine developers to establish in-house capabilities for the large-scale manufacturing of proprietary vaccine candidates, while ensuing compliance to the evolving standards. As a result, outsourcing vaccine manufacturing operations has become a preferred practice in this segment of the biopharmaceutical industry. The outsourcing-based operating model is common among small and mid-sized innovators, which heavily rely on capable contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) for clinical- and commercial-scale manufacturing requirements. Over time, several big pharma players, with established in-house capabilities, have also been observed to enter into long-term business relationships with CMOs, in order to optimize internal resource utilization, manage cost of operations, and leverage the niche expertise of specialty service providers.
The contemporary contract services market for vaccines is highly fragmented, featuring a mix of small and mid-sized firms, and established players. Numerous stakeholders presently claim to be actively striving to expand their respective service portfolios; in this context, there has been substantial acquisition activity in vaccine contract manufacturing market, in the recent past. As a result, several of the larger CMOs have developed the required capabilities and expertise to offer end-to-end services, ranging from vaccine development (which includes preliminary R&D, preclinical studies and clinical trials) to regulatory filings, and commercial scale production. It is worth mentioning that to fulfil the growing demand for COVID-19 vaccines and ensure minimal disruption in the supply of these vaccines, several big pharmaceutical companies (such as Bayer, Merck, and Novartis) have offered their manufacturing infrastructure for production of COVID-19 vaccines. Other recent developments in this field include capability expansions, and collaborations focused on expanding geographical presence. In the foreseen future, we expect the demand for core competencies to continue to drive sponsor companies to rely on contract service providers for various aspects of vaccine development and manufacturing. Amidst the tough competition within vaccine contract manufacturing market, the availability of cutting-edge tools and technologies has emerged as a differentiating factor, offering competitive advantage to CMOs that possess them. Given the increased impetus on outsourcing vaccine manufacturing, we anticipate the vaccine contract manufacturing market to witness a steady market growth during the forecast period.
Recent Developments in Vaccine Contract Manufacturing Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of vaccine contract manufacturing market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In September 2023, Pfizer in collaboration with Moderna announced the FDA approval of updated COVID-19 vaccines with an aim to increase protection against the latest coronavirus strains and slow down the surge in the upcoming autumn and winter seasons in the northern hemisphere.
- In September 2023, SK bioscience entered into a strategic collaboration with Serbia in order to develop and manufacture vaccines by establishing vaccine manufacturing facilities in Serbia.
- In April 2023, the Government of Canada collaborated with the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) with an aim to strengthen vaccine manufacturing in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Key Companies in Vaccine Contract Manufacturing Market
Examples of key companies engaged in contract manufacturing of vaccines (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Albany Molecular Research (AMRI), Catalent , Charles River Laboratories, Meridian Life Science (MLS), BioReliance (A Unit of Merck), AGC Biologics, Cobra Biologics, Eurogentec, IDT Biologika, Lonza, Eurofins Amatsigroup, Boehringer Ingelheim BioXcellence, GreenPak Biotech, Hong Kong Institute of Biotechnology, WuXi Biologics, Bharat Biotech, Biological E, Syngene International and Wockhardt. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the companies providing contract manufacturing of vaccines, worldwide.
Scope Of the Report
The “Vaccine Contract Manufacturing Market (3rd Edition) by Outsourced Business Operations (Cell / Virus Banking, Analytical Testing, Formulation Development, Process Development, Fill / Finish, and Regulatory Filings), Type of Expression Systems (Mammalian, Microbial, and Others), Size of the Company (Small-sized, Mid-sized and Large / Very Large), Scale of Operation (Preclinical / Clinical and Commercial), and Geography (North America (the US), Europe (UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain), Asia (China, India, Japan and South Korea) and Rest of the World (South Africa): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts” market report features an extensive study on current market landscape, market size, market share, market forecast, market outlook and future opportunities of the vaccine contract manufacturing market.
The market research report features in-depth analyses, highlighting the capabilities of various vaccine CMOs. Amongst other elements, the market report includes:
- A detailed review of the overall landscape of the vaccine contract manufacturing market, featuring a list of active CMOs and an analysis based on a number of relevant parameters, such as year of establishment, size of employee base, location of headquarters, number of vaccine manufacturing facilities, type of service(s) offered (cell / virus banking, analytical development / testing, formulation, process development, fill / finish and regulatory filings), scale of operation (preclinical, clinical and commercial), type of expression system used (mammalian, microbial and others) and type of vaccine manufactured (protein vaccine, viral vaccine, DNA vaccine, cancer vaccine, and others).
- A detailed review of the contract manufacturing landscape for COVID-19 vaccines, featuring a list of service providers and an analysis based on type of service(s) offered (cell / virus banking, analytical development / testing, formulation, process development, fill / finish and regulatory filings) and geographical location of vaccine manufacturers (North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World), along with competitiveness analysis of companies based in different geographies.
- A region-wise company competitiveness analysis, highlighting the most prominent vaccine manufacturers, based on supplier strength (in terms of experience), and service strength (in terms of service offerings, expression systems used, and scale of operation).
- Elaborate profiles of the key players based in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific having a diverse range of capabilities for development, manufacturing and packaging of vaccines. Each profile includes an overview of the company, its financial performance (if available), information on service portfolio, vaccine manufacturing facilities, recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- An analysis of the collaborations that have been established since 2013, based on various parameters, such as year of agreement, type of agreement, scale of operation, type of services mentioned in the deal, type of vaccines manufactured, key therapeutic areas, and location of facility where the project is to be executed.
- A detailed analysis of the expansions undertaken (since 2013) by various vaccine contract manufacturing service providers for enhancing their service portfolios, based on a number of parameters, including year of expansion, purpose of expansion (capacity expansion, capability expansion, facility expansion, and new facility), geographical location of facility, scale of operation, type of service(s) offered, highlighting most active players and other details (in terms of new area added to existing facilities, if available).
- A detailed analysis of the various mergers and acquisitions that have taken place in vaccine contract manufacturing market, highlighting the trend in the number of companies acquired during the time period between 2013-2021, along with the geographical distribution of this activity. The analysis also depicts the relationship between important deal multiples (based on revenues), number of employees, and overall experience of the acquired company.
- A detailed capacity analysis, taking into consideration the manufacturing capacities of various stakeholders (small, mid-sized, large / very large CMOs) in the market, based on data gathered via secondary and primary research. In addition, the study provides the distribution of global vaccine manufacturing capacity by company size (small, mid-sized, large / very large), geography (North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific), and scale of operation (preclinical / clinical and commercial).
- An informed estimate of the annual commercial and clinical demand for vaccines (in million liters), which was further segmented as across different types of vaccines, target indications, and geographies.
- A discussion on affiliated trends, key drivers and challenges, under a comprehensive SWOT framework, which are likely to impact the industry’s evolution, including a Harvey ball analysis, highlighting the relative effect of each SWOT parameter on the overall industry.
- A discussion on the potential market drivers, such as the growing vaccines pipeline, increasing outsourcing of vaccine operations and opportunities in the Asia-Pacific region, which are likely to present in the coming years.
The key objective of vaccine contract manufacturing market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market value, statistics and future opportunity for vaccine contract manufacturing market during the forecast period. Based on various parameters, such as growth of the overall vaccine market, cost of goods sold, and direct manufacturing costs, we have provided informed estimates on the evolution of the market for the forecast period 2021-2035. The market report also features the likely distribution of the current and forecasted opportunity across [A] type of expression system used (mammalian, microbial, and others), [B] scale of operation (preclinical, clinical, and commercial), [C] company size (small-, mid-sized and large / very large), and [D] key geographical regions (North America (the US), Europe (Italy, Germany, France, Spain, and the UK), and Asia-Pacific (China, India, and Japan), and Rest of the World. In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base, and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
The opinions and insights presented in the market report were influenced by discussions held with senior stakeholders in the industry. The market research report features detailed transcripts of interviews held with the following industry stakeholders:
- Menzo Havenga, CEO, Batavia Biosciences and Claire Otjes, Marketing Manager, Batavia Biosciences
- Dietmar Katinger, Chief Executive Officer, Polymun Scientific
- David C Cunningham, Director Corporate Development, Goodwin Biotechnology
- Ingrid Kromann, Ex-Director – Vaccine Development (currently, the Head of CMC at CEPI)
- Kevin Daley, Director Pharmaceuticals, Novasep Synthesis
- Thilo Kamphausen, Director Business Development, Richter-Helm BioLogics
- Sebastian Schuck, Head of Business Development, Wacker Biotech
- Oliver Schub, Senior Business Development Manager, ProBioGen
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What is a vaccine contract manufacturing organization? Answer:
A vaccine contract manufacturing organization is a special kind of an organization, offering contract manufacturing services to pharmaceutical companies for various kinds of vaccines and biologics.
Question 2: How big is the vaccine contract manufacturing market? Answer:
The vaccine contract manufacturing market size is estimated to be worth $1.3 billion in 2021.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the vaccine contract manufacturing market? Answer:
The vaccine contract manufacturing market is expected to grow at CAGR of 18% during the forecast period 2021 – 2030.
Question 4: Who are the leading CMO in the vaccine contract manufacturing market? Answer:
Examples of key CMO engaged in vaccine contract manufacturing market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Albany Molecular Research (AMRI), Catalent , Charles River Laboratories, Meridian Life Science (MLS), BioReliance (A Unit of Merck), AGC Biologics, Cobra Biologics, Eurogentec, IDT Biologika, Lonza, Eurofins Amatsigroup, Boehringer Ingelheim BioXcellence, GreenPak Biotech, Hong Kong Institute of Biotechnology, WuXi Biologics, Bharat Biotech, Biological E, Syngene International and Wockhardt.
Question 5: How many companies are currently engaged in the vaccine contract manufacturing market? Answer:
Over 120 CMO are currently engaged in the vaccine contract manufacturing market offering various contract services for vaccines.
Question 6: How many partnership deals have been inked between the companies engaged in vaccine contract manufacturing market? Answer:
More than 300 partnership deals have been inked between the companies engaged in vaccine contract manufacturing market, highlighting the consolidation efforts of the stakeholders in this industry.
Question 7: How many vaccine candidates are currently being evaluated by vaccine developers? Answer:
Over 300 vaccine candidates are currently being evaluated by vaccine developers.