Viral Vaccine Cell Culture Media Market Overview
The viral vaccine cell culture media market is estimated to be worth $1.6 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% during the forecast period. Over the past few years, a number of advanced vaccines targeting a myriad of disease indications have received approval from various regulatory authorities. Post the onset of COVID-19, there has been a surge in the demand for viral vaccines. In fact, it is estimated that more than 4.5 billion people, across the globe, have received at least a single dose of COVID-19 vaccine. In other words, around 60% of the global population has been vaccinated against COVID-19. However, as the global population continues to rise, the demand for such vaccines is likely to be there in the foreseen future as well. Taking into consideration the prevalent trends, the global vaccines market is anticipated to be worth around USD 100 billion in 2025. Amidst the recent initiatives in this context, several viral vaccine media developers have established various partnerships for the clinical and commercial manufacturing of viral vaccines.
Vaccine manufacturing is a highly regulated and challenging process; specifically, the production of viral components or whole viruses further adds to the complexity. Additionally, it is paramount for vaccine cultures to be devoid of any contamination and be highly effective. In order to mitigate the aforementioned challenges, pharma and biotech companies are gradually adopting viral vaccine cell culture medium for vaccines manufacturing. As a matter of fact, the recent surge in vaccine demand amidst the COVID-19 pandemic has served to facilitate a strong case for organizations to opt such media for the development and manufacturing of large quantities of vaccines. In fact, cell culture companies engaged in viral vaccine cell culture media market have shifted their focus towards serum free and animal component free media to carry out vaccine manufacturing owing to the various benefits offered by these media formulations, including low contamination rate. Given that the demand for viral vaccine is indubitably rising, the corresponding opportunity for viral vaccine cell culture media market is expected to witness steady market growth during the forecast period.
Key Companies in Viral Vaccine Cell Culture Media Market
Examples of key cell culture companies engaged in viral vaccine cell culture media market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of cell culture companies is available in the full report) include Creative Biolabs, Jianshun Biosciences, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck, Sartorius, Xell, ATZ labs and OPM Biosciences. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the cell culture companies providing viral vaccine cell culture media, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Viral Vaccine Cell Culture Media Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of viral vaccine cell culture media market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In August 2023, BioVaxys Technology announced the extension of its research collaboration with Ohio State University focusing on SARS-CoV-2, SARS-CoV-1, and pan-sarbecovirus vaccine research.
- In March 2023, ModeX Therapeutics entered into license agreement with Merck with an aim to develop a vaccine candidate for Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV).
- In january 2023, Ocugen published positive top-line data for covid-19 vaccine candidate covaxin™ (bbv152) in phase 2/3 in order to increase immuno-bridging and broadening study.
Scope of the Report
The “Viral Vaccine Cell Culture Media Market Distribution by Type of Cell Culture (Adherent and Suspension), Type of Media (Animal Component Free, Protein Free and Serum Free), Scale of Operation (Clinical Operations and Commercial Operations), Type of End-User (Industry Players and Non-Industry Players), and Key Geographical Regions (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2035” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market forecast and future opportunities for the viral vaccine cell culture media market during the forecast period. The market research report also features an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various industry stakeholders engaged in viral vaccine cell culture media market.
Amongst other elements, the market research report features:
- A detailed overview of the overall market landscape of cell culture companies engaged in the development of viral vaccine cell culture media, along with the information on their year of establishment, company size, location of headquarters. Further, it highlights a detailed assessment of the overall market landscape of over 80 viral vaccine cell culture media, based on several relevant parameters, such as type of vaccine (protein subunit, viral vector, whole virus), type of cell culture (adherent and suspension), type of cell culture medium (serum free, animal component free, protein free), purpose of media (Vero cell lines, human embryonic kidney (HEK) cell lines, Madin-Darby canine kidney (MDCK) cell lines, baby hamster kidney (BHK) cell lines, Madin-Darby bovine kidney (MDBK) cell lines, other cell lines), media formulation (liquid and powder), and application area (research use and manufacturing).
- Elaborate profiles of prominent cell culture companies (shortlisted based on number of products being offered) engaged in the development of viral vaccine cell culture media. Each company profile features a brief overview of the company, along with information on its year of establishment, number of employees, location of headquarters, key executives, financial details / information (if available), product portfolio, recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- An analysis of the recent developments and initiatives within the viral vaccine cell culture media industry, highlighting information on several partnerships and collaborations and expansion initiatives that have taken place in viral vaccine cell culture media market, during the period 2015-2021.
- An in-depth analysis of more than 130 vaccine developers and 50 vaccine contract manufacturers that are likely to partner with cell culture companies. These players have been shortlisted based on several relevant parameters, such as developer strength (which takes into account a company’s size and its experience in this field), pipeline strength and maturity (based on the number of pipeline drugs and affiliated stage of development) and availability of other vaccine development and manufacturing related capabilities.
- An in-depth product competitiveness analysis of viral vaccine cell culture media based on supplier power (in terms of expertise of the developer) and key product-related specifications (such as type of media, purpose of media, application area, type of vaccine, media formulation).
- An elaborative brand positioning analysis of the leading industry players (shortlisted on the basis of year of establishment and company size), highlighting the current perceptions regarding their proprietary brands across viral vaccine cell culture medium.
- Insightful patent analysis presenting an overview of how the industry is evolving from the R&D perspective. For this analysis, we considered over 3400 patents that have been filed / granted for viral vaccine cell culture media, between 2015 and 2021 (till November), highlighting key trends associated with these patents, across type of patents, publication year, issuing authorities involved, emerging focus area, patent age, CPC symbols, leading patent assignees (in terms of number of patents granted / filed), patent characteristics and geography. It also includes a detailed patent benchmarking and an insightful valuation analysis.
- An informed estimate of the annual demand for viral vaccine cell culture media (in terms of volume of media required for total number of cells), based on key geographical regions.
One of the key objectives of this market report is to provide a detailed market forecast analysis in order to estimate the existing market size and future opportunity associated with the viral vaccine cell culture media market during the forecast period. We have developed an informed estimate on the likely evolution of the market in the short to mid-term and long term, for the forecast period 2022-2035. Additionally, the market report features the likely distribution of the current and forecasted opportunity across [A] type of cell culture (adherent and suspension) [B] type of cell culture media (animal component free, protein free and serum free), [C] scale of operation (clinical operations and commercial operations), [D] type of end-user (industry players and non-industry players), and [E] key geographical regions (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What is viral vaccine cell culture media? Answer:
Viral vaccine cell culture media specific media compositions optimized for viral production processes. These products generally include the media itself, along with viral production cells, and packaging plasmids.
Question 2: How big is the viral vaccine cell culture media market? Answer:
The viral vaccine cell culture media market size is estimated to be worth $1.6 billion in 2022.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the viral vaccine cell culture media market? Answer:
The viral vaccine cell culture media market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% during the forecast period 2022 - 2035.
Question 4: Who are the leading companies in the viral vaccine cell culture media market? Answer:
Examples of key companies engaged in viral vaccine cell culture media market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Creative Biolabs, Jianshun Biosciences, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck, Sartorius, Xell, ATZ labs and OPM Biosciences.
Question 5: How many patents related to viral vaccine cell culture media have been filed / granted till date? Answer:
Till date, over 3,400 patents related to viral vaccine cell culture media have been filed / granted.
Question 6: How many viral vaccine cell culture media are currently marketed by stakeholders engaged in this industry? Answer:
Presently, more than 80 viral vaccine cell culture media are marketed by stakeholders engaged in this industry
Question 7: Which type of viral vaccine cell culture media is primarily developed by stakeholders engaged in this industry? Answer:
Serum free media for viral vaccine cell culture is primarily developed by stakeholders engaged in this industry.