Fc Region and Glycoengineered Antibodies Market Overview
The Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market is estimated to be worth $21.6 billion in 2021 and is expected to grow at CAGR of 5% during the forecast period. With close to 100 approved monoclonal fc antibodies, and over 550 molecules in the clinical pipeline, antibody based pharmacological interventions have become one of the fast growing segment of the biopharmaceutical industry. In fact, these interventions are anticipated to generate a cumulative sales of USD 300 billion by 2025. Further, within the antibody therapeutics industry, engineered antibodies, developed by modifying the fragment crystallizable (Fc) region, have garnered significant interest over the past few years. The modifications (such as glycoengineering, protein engineering or isotype chimerism) in the Fc region of an antibody have shown to augment the various effector functions, such as antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC), complement-dependent cytotoxicity (CDC), antibody-dependent cellular phagocytosis (ADCP) activity and / or the half-life of the molecule. Moreover, several Fc engineering technologies enable the suppression of the effector functions in certain pathways, and are being actively exploited for development of anti-cancer antibodies.
Over time, a substantial body of evidence has validated the therapeutic applications of Fc engineering platforms, which, in turn, has led to the establishment of numerous strategic partnerships (focused on therapy development and clinical research) and significant investment into the innovator companies. The consistent research efforts in this domain have translated into the emergence of two blockbuster drugs, namely Gazyva® (for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) and POTELEGIO® (for Sézary syndrome) and several other Fc engineered antibody products, including Margenza™, MONJUVI® and SKYRIZI™ that received approval in the past few years. More recently, in 2021, two Fc engineered antibodies, namely Sotrovimab and Etesevimab, got approved for the treatment of COVID-19. Further, there are several drugs in the development pipeline, which are being investigated by various small and established pharmaceutical companies. The promising clinical results, and ongoing technical developments, coupled to the growing interest of biopharmaceutical developers, are anticipated to give the required impetus to the push pipeline products to higher stages of development, and commercialization. We believe that the market is likely to witness a commendable market growth during forecast period.
Key Companies in Fc Region and Glycoengineered Antibodies Market
Examples of key companies engaged in Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AbbVie, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, AstraZeneca, Genentech, MacroGenics and Kyowa Kirin. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the companies developing Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Fc Region and Glycoengineered Antibodies Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In September 2023, Glycotope entered into a research agreement with Max Delbrück Center in order to explore combination of GlycoTargets and CAR technology.
- In August 2023, iTolerance collaborated with Northway Biotech for manufacturing of Streptavidin-FasL Fusion Protein.
Scope of the Report
The ‘Fc Region and Glycoengineered Antibodies Market: Focus on Type of Fc Engineering and Therapeutics (3rd edition), 2021-2035’ market report features an extensive study on the current market landscape, market size, market share, market forecast, market outlook and future opportunities for the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market. The market research report presents an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various stakeholders engaged in Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market, across different geographies.
Amongst other elements, the market research report includes:
- A detailed review of the Fc protein and glyco-engineered antibodies that are currently marketed and are in different stages of development. It features a detailed analysis of marketed / development programs, based on several relevant parameters, such as phase of development (marketed, clinical and preclinical), target disease indication (atopic dermatitis, gastric cancer, head and neck cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, psoriasis, solid tumors and others), target therapeutic area (autoimmune disorders, infectious diseases, oncological disorders and others), target gene (CD20, CD30, PD-L1 and others), type of antibody (IgG1, IgG2, IgG2/4 and others), type of Fc engineering, and impact of Fc engineering (enhanced effector function, reduced effector function and enhanced serum half-life), route of administration (intravenous, subcutaneous and others) and type of therapy (monotherapy and combination therapy).
- A detailed review of the companies developing Fc engineered antibodies, along with information on their year of establishment, company size, and location of headquarters.
- Elaborate profiles of the key players engaged in the development of Fc engineered antibodies. Each profile includes a brief overview of the company, its financial information (if available), information on product portfolio, recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- An analysis of the partnerships that have been established in Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market, since 2016, covering research agreements, product / technology licensing agreements, mergers and acquisitions, asset purchase agreements, R&D agreements, clinical trial agreements, product development and commercialization agreements, and other relevant type of deals.
- An in-depth analysis of completed, ongoing, and planned clinical studies for evaluating different Fc engineered antibodies, based on several relevant parameters, such as trial registration year, current trial status, phase of development, enrolled patient population, study design, leading industry and non-industry players (in terms of number of trials conducted), study focus, type of drug molecule, target disease indication, therapeutic area and key geographical regions.
- An in-depth analysis of the grants awarded to various research institutes for projects related to Fc protein and glyco-engineered antibodies, in the period between 2016-2021, based on parameters, such as year of award, amount awarded, administering institute center, support period, type of grant application, purpose of grant award, activity code, emerging focus areas of the grants, popular NIH departments, type of recipient organization, popular recipient organizations, popular program officers and regional distribution of recipient organizations.
- An in-depth analysis of around 6,500 patents related to Fc engineering that have been filed / granted, since 2016, highlighting the key trends associated with these patents, across parameters, such as type of patent, publication year and application year, regional applicability, IPCR symbols, emerging focus areas, inventor information, leading patent assignees (in terms of number of patents filed / granted), and patent valuation.
The key objective of Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market value, statistics and future opportunity for Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market during the forecast period. Based on multiple parameters, such as target patient population, likely adoption rates and expected pricing, we have provided informed estimates on the evolution of the market for the forecast period 2021-2035. The market report features the likely distribution of the current and forecasted opportunity across [A] type of Fc engineering (Fc protein and glyco-engineered) [B] type of therapy (monotherapy and combination therapy) [C] therapeutic area (autoimmune disorders, oncological disorders, infectious diseases and others), [D] route of administration (intravenous, subcutaneous and others), and [E] key geographical regions (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, portraying the conservative, base and optimistic tracks of the anticipated industry’s growth.
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are Fc region engineered antibodies? Answer:
Engineered antibodies, developed by modifying the fragment crystallizable (Fc) region, are termed as Fc region engineered antibodies. The modifications in the Fc region of an antibody have been shown to augment the various effector functions, such as antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) and complement-dependent cytotoxicity (CDC).
Question 2: How big is the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market? Answer:
The Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market size is estimated to be worth $21.6 billion in 2021.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market? Answer:
The Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5% during the forecast period 2021 – 2030.
Question 4: Who are the leading players in the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market? Answer:
Examples of key companies engaged in Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AbbVie, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, AstraZeneca, Genentech, MacroGenics and Kyowa Kirin.
Question 5: How many Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies are currently marketed? Answer:
Close to 20 Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies are currently marketed.
Question 6: How many companies are currently engaged in the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market? Answer:
Over 30 companies are currently engaged in the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies market.
Question 7: How many patents related to the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies have been filed / granted over the last few years? Answer:
Since 2016, more than 6,500 patents related to the Fc region and glycoengineered antibodies have been filed / granted.