Therapeutic Vaccines Market Overview
The global therapeutic vaccines market is estimated to be worth $2 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 34% during the forecast period. Unlike the prophylactic vaccines that are designed and administered as a precautionary measure to prevent the occurrence of a disease, researchers have developed therapeutic vaccines intended to alleviate the suffering of patients already infected with the disease. Therapeutic vaccines are not as efficacious as prophylactic vaccines; however, they demonstrate safety, specificity and a long-lasting response across various clinical conditions. These vaccines help the immune system in recognizing a foreign agent and are primarily being developed for viral infections and different types of cancer. Additionally, individuals who are affected with chronic infections but cannot produce enough efficient antibodies can be administered such vaccines. Currently, six melanoma vaccine and therapeutic cancer vaccines are commercially available, including Imlygic®, Provenge® and Tice® which have recently been approved for treatment of melanoma, prostate cancer and bladder cancer, respectively; in addition, over 350 vaccines are under development for various oncological, infectious, hepatological, neurological and autoimmune disorders.
Extensive research is being conducted to improve the overall stability of these therapeutic formulations and a variety of adjuvants (substances with an innate potential to augment an immune response) have been discovered for the development of more versatile vaccine formulations. Further, researchers are also investigating the potential of these vaccines against other chronic disease conditions, including hypertension and autoimmune disorders. Over the last few years, this segment of industry has witnessed substantial partnership activity and investment from various private and public sector investors / investment funds, which have extended financial support to the organizations engaged in R&D. Driven by encouraging clinical trial results, increasing adoption of therapeutic vaccines for treating various clinical conditions and investment in R&D, the therapeutic vaccines market is poised to witness noteworthy market growth during the forecast period.
Key Companies in Therapeutic Vaccines Market
Examples of key companies engaged in therapeutic vaccines market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include BioNTech, Brii Biosciences, GlobeImmune, Immatics, Immune Response Biopharma, Immunitor, Inovio Pharmaceuticals and Moderna. This therapeutic vaccines market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the companies developing therapeutic vaccines, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Therapeutic Vaccines Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of therapeutic vaccines market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In August 2023, Absci entered into a collaboration with Caltech with an aim to accelerate affordable HIV therapeutic vaccine. Additionally, company received a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to bolster efforts to fight the global HIV/AIDS epidemic.
- In June 2023, Nykode Therapeutics expanded its clinical collaboration with Roche to evaluate VB10.16 in combination with anti-PD-L1 in the next trial for advanced cervical cancer.
- In March 2023, OPKO Health’s ModeX Therapeutics entered into a license and collaboration agreement with Merck in order to develop Epstein-Barr virus vaccine candidate.
Scope of the Report
The “Therapeutic Vaccines Market, 2022–2035” market report features an extensive study on the current market landscape, market size, market forecast and future opportunities associated with the therapeutic vaccines market. The market research report underlines an in-depth analysis, highlighting the key drivers and the market trends related to this evolving segment of the pharmaceutical industry.
Amongst other elements, the market report includes:
- A detailed assessment of the current market landscape of therapeutic vaccines, based on several relevant parameters, such as phase of development (clinical and preclinical) of lead candidates, type of vaccine (antigen vaccine, dendritic vaccine, DNA vaccine and peptide vaccine), type of vaccine by method of composition (autologous vaccine and allogeneic vaccine), type of therapy (monotherapy and combination therapy), target disease indication and route of administration (intramuscular, intranasal, oral, intradermal, subcutaneous, intravenous and others) and dosing frequency. It also includes a list of players developing therapeutic vaccines along with information on their year of establishment, company size and location of headquarters.
- Elaborate profiles of key players engaged in the development of therapeutic vaccines, based across North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. Each profile features a brief overview of the company, its financial information (if available), details on its clinical-stage vaccine candidates, recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- A detailed analysis of completed, ongoing and planned clinical trials of various therapeutic vaccines, based on important parameters, such as trial registration year, phase of development, trial recruitment status, study design, trial focus area, target disease indication(s), type of sponsor / collaborator, leading industry sponsors / collaborators (in terms of number of trials conducted), number of patients enrolled and regional distribution.
- An in-depth analysis of grants that have been awarded to various research institutes for research related to therapeutic vaccines, during the period, 2016-2022, on the basis of different parameters, such as year of grant award, amount awarded, administering institute center, support period, type of grant application, purpose of grant award, activity code, focus area, study section involved, type of recipient organization and focus area. In addition, it highlights the geographical distribution of recipient organizations, popular NIH departments, prominent program officers, and popular recipient organizations.
- An analysis of the partnerships that have been established in therapeutic vaccines market since 2016, covering instances of product development and / or commercialization agreements, R&D collaborations, licensing agreements, mergers and acquisitions, clinical trial agreements, and other relevant deals.
- An analysis of the various start-ups engaged in the field of therapeutic vaccines market, based on relevant parameters, such as number of candidates in discovery, preclinical and clinical phases of development, amount raised in different funding instances and number of partnerships established.
- A case study on preventive vaccines, along with information on marketed as well as clinical-stage candidates, based on parameters, such as phase of development, route of administration (intramuscular, subcutaneous, oral, intranasal, intradermal and others), type of vaccine API (live attenuated vaccine, inactivated vaccine, conjugate vaccine, subunit vaccine, toxoid vaccine and others), dosage form (ready to use liquid, lyophilized powder, nasal spray, capsule, and tablet) and target disease indication.
- A case study on contract manufacturing for vaccines, featuring a comprehensive list of active CMOs and analyses based on a number of parameters, such as year of establishment, company size, scale of operation (preclinical, clinical and commercial), geographical location, number of vaccine manufacturing facilities, types of services offered (cell / virus banking, analytical development / testing, formulation, process development, fill / finish and regulatory filings), type of expression systems used for vaccine production (mammalian, microbial and others) and type of vaccine manufactured.
One of the key objectives of this market report is to provide a detailed market forecast analysis in order to estimate the existing market size and future opportunity associated with therapeutic vaccines market during the forecast period. Based on parameters, such as adoption rates and expected prices variations for these products, we have developed informed estimates on the likely evolution of the market for the forecast period 2022-2035.
Our year-wise projections of the current and forecasted opportunity within the therapeutic vaccines market, have further been segmented across different types of vaccines (antigen vaccine, dendritic vaccine, DNA vaccine and peptide vaccine), types of vaccines by method of composition (autologous and allogeneic vaccine), types of therapies (monotherapy and combination), target disease indications, routes of administration (intramuscular, subcutaneous, oral, intranasal, intradermal and others) and key geographical regions (North America, Europe and Asia Pacific).
In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
The opinions and insights presented in the market report were influenced by discussions held with senior representatives in the industry. All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are therapeutic vaccines? Answer:
Therapeutic vaccines are a class of vaccines which are administered into a patient only after an infection has already occurred. Unlike the prophylactic vaccines that are designed and administered as a precautionary measure to prevent the occurrence of a disease, researchers have developed therapeutic vaccines intended to alleviate the suffering of patients already infected with the disease.
Question 2: How big is the therapeutic vaccines market? Answer:
The therapeutic vaccines market size is estimated to be worth $2 billion in 2022.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the therapeutic vaccines market? Answer:
The therapeutic vaccines market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 34% during the forecast period 2022 - 2035.
Question 4: Who are the leading companies in the therapeutic vaccines market? Answer:
Examples of key companies engaged in therapeutics vaccines market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include BioNTech, Brii Biosciences, GlobeImmune, Immatics, Immune Response Biopharma, Immunitor, Inovio Pharmaceuticals and Moderna.
Question 5: How many therapeutic vaccine candidates are currently under development? Answer:
Presently, over 350 vaccine candidates are under development by companies engaged in the therapeutic vaccines market
Question 6: How many companies are currently engaged in the therapeutic vaccines market? Answer:
Presently, over 100 companies, including more than 20 big pharma players are engaged in the therapeutic vaccines market.
Question 7: How many therapeutic vaccines are currently available in the market for the treatment of diseases? Answer:
Currently, six therapeutic vaccines are commercially available, including Imlygic®, Provenge® and Tice® which have recently been approved for treatment of melanoma, prostate cancer and bladder cancer, respectively.
Question 8: Which is the largest market segment in the therapeutic vaccines market by indication? Answer:
Cancer vaccines hold the largest market share in the therapeutic vaccines market.