Metabolomics Market Overview
The metabolomics market for CROs is estimated to be worth $173 million in 2022 and is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.9% during the forecast period. Since the initiation of the Human Metabolome Project in 2005, the metabolomics technique has gathered significant attention from the industry stakeholders. It is worth mentioning that about 40,000 small molecules constitute the human metabolome. Further, 30% of the known genetic disorders are associated with small-molecule metabolism. Therefore, metabolome profiling can assist in obtaining a better understanding of the disease. The approach has also demonstrated to be capable of identifying new biomarkers (for diagnosis and prognosis) and novel drug targets. In fact, 50% of the total drug candidates are reported to emanate from pre-existing metabolites. Integration of metabolomics with development projects holds the potential to significantly improve the efficiency and success rate of drug discovery, owing to its ability to differentiate promising candidates in the early stages. As a result, metabolomics has become an indispensable part of modern drug discovery and development process and disease diagnosis. Further, with the growing prominence of personalized medicine, there is an increased demand for rapid, highly sensitive and accurate quantification methods, such as metabolomics, to analyze clinical specimens. It is worth highlighting that various types of metabolite detection techniques / metabolomics testing, including targeted metabolomics testing and untargeted metabolomics testing, are being employed for diagnosis, severity determination and therapy development efforts against COVID-19. Specifically, studies have reported the potential implications of the serum metabolome in understanding the pathophysiology of the aforementioned disease.
Given the growing pipeline of biomarkers and drug discovery projects, the current demand for metabolite profiling is high. In this context, more than 18,000 drug candidates are being evaluated across different development stages, at present. Although some pharmaceutical companies have established in-house metabolomics research capabilities, significant capital investments and specialized requirements render this approach prohibitive for most stakeholders. Moreover, the associated metabolomics technologies, including chromatography and spectrometry, are complicated by multi-step analytical protocols and technically demanding expertise, which eventually leads to contamination of samples and lack of reproducibility in test results. This has created a demand for metabolomics service providers having the required expertise in the global market. In fact, since 2000, more than 70 metabolomics company offering metabolomics services have been established. Amidst growing competition in the metabolomics market, the implementation of cutting-edge tools and technologies, such as artificial intelligence, big data analytics, deep learning, machine learning and quantum computing, serves to differentiate the offerings of stakeholders. Hence, metabolomics company engaged in this upcoming market have actively begun expanding their respective service portfolios, either through undertaking strategic acquisitions or forming alliances with other specialty companies. Considering the ongoing advancements and active research efforts, the metabolomics market is anticipated to witness a significant market growth during the forecast period.
Key CRO in Metabolomics Market
Examples of key CROs engaged in metabolomics market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include biocrates life sciences, Creative Proteomics, DNA Xperts, Eremid Research Services, Human Metabolome Technologies (HMT), Metabo Profile, Metabolon, MS-Omics, Novelgene Technologies and Synbio Technologies. This metabolomics market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the metabolomics CRO providing metabolomics services, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Metabolomics Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of metabolomics market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In July 2023, MetaSight Diagnostics entered into a partnership with KSM Research and Innovation Center with an aim to conduct extensive metabolomics research.
- In June 2023, Waters published updates to its SELECT SERIES™ MRT System having capability to increases its specificity and utility for UPLC-MS/MS metabolomics and drug discovery applications and for mass spectrometry imaging experiments.
- In January 2023, CosmosID launched its metabolomics services with an aim to provide enhanced support for multi-omics microbiome research.
Scope of the Report
The “Metabolomics Market by Area of Application (Biomarker Discovery, Personalized Medicine, Disease Diagnostics, Drug Discovery and Toxicological Metabolomics Testing), Type of Metabolomics Service(s) Offered (Targeted Metabolomics and Untargeted Metabolomics), Type of Metabolome Profiling Techniques Used (LC-MS, GC-MS and NMR), Type of End User (Research / Academic Institutes, Pharma / Biotech Firms and CROs) and Key Geographies (North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa and Rest of the World): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2035” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market forecast and future opportunities for the companies involved in the metabolomics market. The market research report features an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various stakeholders engaged in providing metabolomics services.
Amongst other elements, the market report features:
- A detailed review of the overall landscape of companies offering metabolomics services to various organizations, including research / academic institutes, pharma / biotech firms and CROs, along with analysis based on various relevant parameters, such as year of establishment, company size (in terms of employee count) and location of headquarters. The chapter also provides details related to pre-profiling service(s) offered (experiment design and sample preparation), metabolomics service(s) offered (targeted metabolomics, untargeted metabolomics and unknown metabolite identification), additional services offered (lipidomics, metabolic flux analysis, proteomics, and xenobiotic metabolites analysis), type of metabolome profiling technique used (mass spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resonance, liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, inductively coupled plasma spectroscopy, capillary electrophoresis), type of approach used for data analysis (multivariate analysis, univariate analysis, preprocess and normalization, clustering analysis, enrichment analysis and classification and feature selection), type of biological sample analyzed (biological fluids, tissues, cells and stool), source of biological sample (animal, microbe, human and plant) and area of application (biomarker discovery, disease diagnostics, drug discovery, toxicological metabolomics testing and personalized medicine).
- An in-depth analysis, highlighting the contemporary market trends, using eight schematic representations, including [A] waffle chart representations (based on regional distribution of various industry and non-industry players), [B] world map representations (based on the country-wise distribution of various industry and non-industry players), [C] a horizontally stacked bar chart representation (based on company / organization size and type of service provider), [D] a mekko chart representation (based on area of application and company / organization size), [E] a vertically stacked bar chart representation (based on type of metabolome profiling technique used and type of biological sample analyzed), [F] a tree map representation (based on type of metabolome profiling technique and area of application), [G] a 4D bubble analysis comparing the key metabolomics company engaged in metabolomics market, based on several relevant parameters (such as year of establishment, number of metabolomics services offered, company / organization size and region), [H] a grid representation (based on company / organization size, region, type of metabolomics services offered, type of metabolome profiling technique used and area of application).
- An in-depth company competitiveness analysis of metabolomics service providers, segmented into four categories, namely large and very large (>500 employees), mid-sized (51-500 employees), small (11-50 employees) and very small companies (<10 employees). Within the peer group, companies were ranked based on various relevant parameters, such as supplier power (based on the experience) and portfolio strength (based on parameters, such as number of pre-profiling profiling services offered, number of additional services offered, type of metabolome profiling technique used, type of approach used for data analysis, type of biological sample analysed, source of biological sample analysed and area of application), as well as partnership activity (in terms of number of partnerships and type of agreement).
- Elaborate profiles of various prominent metabolomics company that are currently engaged in offering metabolomics services. Each profile features a brief overview of the metabolomics company (including information on year of establishment, number of employees, location of headquarters and key executives), details related to its recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- An analysis of the partnerships that have been inked between several stakeholders engaged in providing metabolomic services, during the period 2014-2022, covering research agreements, R&D agreements, commercialization agreements, metabolomics data sharing agreements, acquisitions, service alliances, product development agreements and other agreements.
- An insightful framework depicting the implementation of several advanced tools and technologies, such as artificial intelligence, big data analytics, block chain, cloud computing, deep learning, machine learning and quantum computing, at different stages of a metabolomics study, which can assist service providers in addressing existing unmet needs. Further, it provides a detailed analysis on ease of implementation and associated risk in integrating above-mentioned technologies, based on the trends highlighted in published literature and patents.
One of the key objectives of this market report is to provide a detailed market forecast analysis in order to estimate the existing market size and future opportunity for metabolomics market during forecast period. Additionally, it features market size projections for the metabolomics market, wherein both the current and upcoming opportunity is segmented across [A] area of application (biomarker discovery, personalized medicine, disease diagnostics, drug discovery and toxicological metabolomics testing), [B] type of metabolomics service (targeted metabolomics and untargeted metabolomics), [C] type metabolome profiling technique (LC-MS, GC-MS and NMR), [D] type of end user (academic / research institutes, pharma / biotech firms, and CROs) and [E] key geographies (North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa and rest of the world). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely the conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, which represent different tracks of the industry’s evolution.
The opinions and insights presented in this market report were influenced by discussions conducted with multiple stakeholders in metabolomics market. The market research report features detailed transcripts of interviews held with the following individuals:
- Oliver Schimts (Head of Metabolome Data Science, BASF Metabolome Solutions)
- Manoj Kumar (Indian Representative – Eroth Technologies, biocrates life sciences)
- Bernhard Drotleff (Scientific Officer, European Molecular Biology Laboratory)
- Morten Danielsen (Chief Executive Officer, MS-Omics)
- Gilbert Skorski (Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Phylogene)
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What is metabolomics? Answer:
Metabolomics refers to the study of cellular metabolism, involving chemical processes of metabolites, small molecule substrates and intermediates.
Question 2: How big is the metabolomics market for services? Answer:
The metabolomics market size for services is estimated to be worth $173 million in 2022.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the metabolomics market for services? Answer:
The metabolomics market for services is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.9% during the forecast period 2022 - 2035.
Question 4: Who are the leading CRO in the metabolomics market? Answer:
Examples of key CRO engaged in metabolomics market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include biocrates life sciences, Creative Proteomics, DNA Xperts, Eremid Research Services, Human Metabolome Technologies (HMT), Metabo Profile, Metabolon, MS-Omics, Novelgene Technologies and Synbio Technologies.
Question 5: How many CRO are currently engaged in the metabolomics market? Answer:
Presently, more than 180 CRO are engaged in the metabolomics market.
Question 6: Which region is the hub for metabolomics CRO engaged in the metabolomics market? Answer:
North America emerged as the hub for metabolomics CRO engaged in the metabolomics market, with over 25% of the players established in the region.
Question 7: What are market trends in the metabolomics market? Answer:
Metabolomics market has seen the implementation of cutting-edge tools and technologies, such as artificial intelligence, big data analytics, deep learning, machine learning and quantum computing.