Global Autoinjectors Market Overview
The autoinjectors market is estimated to be worth around $64 billion and is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.2% during the forecast period. According to the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), nearly 52% of the adult population in the US is diagnosed with at least one chronic condition, such as asthma, diabetes, and hypertension. The annual cost burden associated with chronic disorders in the US is around USD 3.7 trillion; this accounts for nearly 20% of the country’s GDP share. A major share of expenses incurred by patients living with a chronic disorder is driven by the frequent need to medicate, which may require repeated visits to hospitals / out-patient clinics.
In addition, patient compliance and adherence to the treatment regimen prove to be a challenge. In order to mitigate this challenge, a wide variety of self-administering injectable drugs have been developed, which impart greater independence and psychological benefits to the patients, as compared to drug administration by healthcare professionals. Amongst the various self-injection devices, auto injector have steadily gained prominence, especially for the treatment of emergency and chronic conditions, such as anaphylactic shock and rheumatoid arthritis. The additional features of auto injector, such as integrated needle safety, Bluetooth connectivity, and monitoring injection dose history, enable them to resolve several injection-related compliance issues faced by the patients.
Given the inherent benefits of auto injector, a number of players have launched their proprietary products in combination with auto injector for use across a wide array of disease indications. One of the most widely recognized autoinjector in the market is EpiPen® (Mylan), which is a prefilled epinephrine autoinjector. The generic version of EpiPen received the FDA approval in 2018. Notable examples of other autoinjector-based combination products include Fasenra® Pen (AstraZeneca), Gvoke® Hypopen (Xeris Pharmaceuticals), NUCALA Autoinjector (GlaxoSmithKline), and Vyleesi™ Autoinjector (AMAG Pharmaceuticals® / Palatin Technologies).
Apart from being a patient-friendly alternative to conventional drug delivery methods, autoinjectors also serve as potential life cycle management tools; several pharmaceutical players have reformulated their proprietary drugs as autoinjector combination products to expand market exclusivity period. For instance, Amgen reformulated lyophilized Enbrel® for delivery via the SureClick® autoinjector to extend the patent protection of the drug by almost 11 years. Further, it is worth mentioning that several auto injector developers have made significant efforts in developing novel auto injector technologies, paving the way for new generation of auto injector devices. The field is presently witnessing several innovations, such as LED / LCD-based visualization, Bluetooth connectivity, dosage recording, safety lock, visual / audible drug delivery confirmation notifications, and automatic drug reconstitution. In this context, it is worth highlighting that nearly 5,000 patents have been filed / granted, since 2015, for auto injector and affiliated products / technologies. We believe that such efforts are likely to result in a significant market growth in the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers in Global Autoinjectors Market
Examples of key autoinjector manufacturers engaged in autoinjectors market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Antares Pharma, Bespak (Acquired by Recipharm), DALI Medical Devices, Elcam Medical (E3D Elcam Drug Delivery Devices), Jiangsu Delfu Medical Devices, Oval Medical Technologies, Owen Mumford, SHL Group, Union Medico and Ypsomed. This autoinjectors market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the autoinjector manufacturers, worldwide.
Recent Developments in Autoinjectors Market
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of autoinjectors market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In August 2023, Taisho Pharmaceutical received the FDA approval to manufacture and commercialize Nanozora® 30 mg autoinjector which is planned to be used for the treatment of patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- In May 2023, Boehringer Ingelheim announced the FDA approval of Cyltezo® Pen auto injector used for the patients suffering from chronic inflammatory disorders.
- In May 2023, MoonLake entered into a collaboration with SHL Medical to develop an auto injector for clinical and commercial supply of MoonLake’s Nanobody® sonelokimab.
Scope of the Autoinjectors Market Report
The “Global Autoinjectors Market (4th Edition) by Type of Autoinjector (Disposable and Reusable), Route of Administration (Subcutaneous and Intramuscular), Type of Molecule (Monoclonal Antibody, Peptide, Protein, and Small Molecule), Therapeutic Indication (Anaphylaxis, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Migraine, Diabetes, and Others) and Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2021-2035” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market forecast and future opportunities for the autoinjectors market during forecast period. The market report features an in-depth analysis, highlighting the diverse capabilities of stakeholders engaged in autoinjectors market.
In addition to other elements, the market research report includes:
- An overview of the current market landscape of auto injector that are either marketed / being developed by various stakeholders, providing information on the usability (disposable and reusable), type of primary drug container (cartridge, syringe and vial), volume of container, type of dose (fixed and variable), route of administration (intradermal, intracavernosal, intramuscular and subcutaneous), actuation mechanism (automatic and manual) and feedback mechanism integrated in the device. It also provides details on the developers, highlighting their year of establishment, company size (small, mid-sized, large and very large), and location of headquarters.
- A competitiveness analysis of various disposable and reusable auto injector, taking into consideration supplier power of their developers (based on year of establishment and company size) and key product specifications, such as route of administration, primary drug container used, injector actuation mechanism, type of dose and user friendliness of the product.
- A detailed brand positioning analysis of leading industry players (shortlisted on the basis of strength of product portfolio), highlighting the current perceptions regarding their proprietary brands by taking into consideration several relevant aspects, such as strength and diversity of product portfolio, route of administration, actuation mechanism, geographical presence / reach and supplier power of each company.
- An in-depth analysis of the patents that have been filed / granted for auto injector, highlighting trends across key parameters, such as type of patent, publication year, issuing authority, CPC classification, emerging focus areas and leading industry players (on the basis of number of patents). It also includes a detailed patent benchmarking and an insightful valuation analysis.
- A review of auto injector being developed in combination with drugs, featuring details on initial year of approval (for marketed products), phase of development, usability of the device, route of administration (intracavernous, intramuscular and subcutaneous), type of drug molecule (antibody, peptide, protein and small molecule), dose strength, therapeutic area and other approved dosage forms (for marketed products). In addition, the chapter provides details on the developers, including year of establishment, company size and location of headquarters.
- Detailed case studies on the most commonly targeted indications, covering history of development and detailed description of the approved auto injector products, along with their respective mechanisms of action and historical sales records. The study also includes a list of the drugs that are currently being delivered via autoinjectors.
- A list of marketed drugs / therapies and pipeline candidates that are likely to be developed in combination with auto injector in the near future, shortlisted on the basis of an in-depth analysis that takes into consideration various relevant parameters, such as route of administration, type of drug molecule, target indications, other available dosage forms (for approved drugs) and historical annual sales information (for approved drugs).
- Elaborate profiles of auto injector manufacturers that have more than three devices in their respective product portfolios; each profile features an overview of the company, its financial information (if available), information on its product portfolio, auto injector device specifications, collaborations, recent developments and an informed future outlook. Additionally, the report includes brief profiles of emerging players that have been established in the past decade.
- A list of key opinion leaders (KOLs) within autoinjectors market who were short-listed based on their contributions (such as involvement in clinical trials and research publications); it features a schematic world map representation, highlighting the geographical locations of eminent scientists / researchers engaged in autoinjectors market.
- An analysis of the recent collaborations (since 2016) focused on the development of autoinjectors. It includes partnerships inked by various stakeholders in autoinjectors market, covering licensing agreements (specific to technology platforms and product candidates), product development and commercialization agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and other relevant agreements.
- A SWOT analysis capturing the key parameters and trends that are likely to influence the future of autoinjectors market.
- A case study on the role of CMOs offering services for drug delivery devices; it features a list of service providers, highlighting the various types of services offered for different types of drug-delivery devices.
- An overview of the current market landscape of companies engaged in manufacturing prefilled syringes, providing information on year of establishment, company size, geographical location of the headquarters and manufacturing facilities, type of material used (glass and plastic), number of barrel chambers (single chamber and dual chamber), type of needle system (fixed needle system, luer lock and luer cone) and syringe volume.
One of the key objectives of this market report is to provide a detailed market forecast analysis in order to estimate the existing market size and future opportunity for autoinjector market. Based on parameters, such as number of commercialized combination products, likely adoption rates and expected pricing, we have provided an informed estimate on the likely evolution of the market over the forecast period 2021-2035. In order to provide a detailed future outlook and autoinjectors market share analysis, our projections have been segmented on the basis of [A] usability (disposable and reusable), [B] route of administration (subcutaneous and intramuscular), [C] type of molecule (monoclonal antibody, peptide, protein and small molecule) [D] therapeutic indication (anaphylaxis, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, migraine, diabetes and other indications), and [E] key geographies (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and rest of the World).
The research, analysis and insights presented in this report are backed by a deep understanding of key insights gathered from both secondary and primary research. The opinions and insights presented in the market report were influenced by discussions held with several players in this industry. The market research report includes detailed transcripts of discussions held with the following individuals:
- David Daily (CEO and Co-founder, DALI Medical Devices)
- Barbara Lead (Chief Executive Officer, Oval Medical Technologies)
- William G. Fortina (Business Development Director-Drug Delivery Systems, Duoject Medical Systems)
- Douglas Marenzi (Managing Director, PHC Injection Technologies)
- Tsachi Shaked (Senior Marketing and BD Director, Injectable Drug Delivery Devices, Elcam Medical)
- Jesse Fourt (Design Director, IDEO)
- Dennis Lee (Senior Program Officer in CMC, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What is autoinjectors? Answer:
Autoinjectors are a special class of medical devices developed and designed to deliver a specific dose of a drug, enabling uniform administration, every time.
Question 2: How big is the autoinjector market? Answer:
The global autoinjector market size is estimated to be worth $64 billion in 2021.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the global autoinjectors market? Answer:
The global autoinjectors market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of over 8.2% during the forecast period.
Question 4: Who are the top autoinjector manufacturers? Answer:
Examples of key autoinjector manufacturers engaged in global autoinjectors market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include Antares Pharma, Bespak (Acquired by Recipharm), DALI Medical Devices, Elcam Medical (E3D Elcam Drug Delivery Devices), Jiangsu Delfu Medical Devices, Oval Medical Technologies, Owen Mumford, SHL Group, Union Medico and Ypsomed.
Question 5: How many autoinjector manufacturers are currently engaged in the global autoinjectors market? Answer:
Over 25 autoinjector manufacturers are currently engaged in the global autoinjectors industry.
Question 6: How many autoinjectors are presently offered by companies engaged in the global autoinjectors market? Answer:
More than 90 autoinjectors are presently offered by companies engaged in the global autoinjectors industry.
Question 7: Which region is the hub for manufacturers engaged in the global autoinjectors market? Answer:
Europe emerged as the hub for manufacturers engaged in the global autoinjectors industry, with 50% of the players established in the region.