From commercial point of view, allograft is the most reasonable option as, from safety point of view, the accommodation of the autologous cells in tissue engineering is a challenging process
-- Head, Cell and Tissue Culture Laboratory, a large-sized organization
Tissue Engineering Market Overview
The global tissue engineering market is projected to grow from USD 4 billion in 2022 to USD 12.7 billion by 2035, exhibiting a CAGR of 9% during forecast period
Research indicates that about 6% of the individuals are expected to get affected from chronic wounds, globally. Specifically, in the US, 6.5 million individuals are estimated to be affected by chronic wounds. Financially, treatment of wound-related complications levies a burden of over USD 25 billion, annually, on the US healthcare system. In other words, treatment and care of chronic wounds is believed to account for more than 5% of the National Healthcare Service (NHS) expenditure in the aforementioned region. Traditionally, the treatment of chronic wounds involves transplantation of undamaged tissues and organs to replace injured and damaged parts of the body. As congenital abnormalities, injuries and diseases cause humans to lose tissues throughout their lives, there is a huge demand for donated tissues, which is further supported by the complete dependence on transplantation for treatment. At present, the supply of tissue donations is insufficient to satisfy the required demand. It is worth highlighting that, in recent years, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine have emerged as promising alternatives for tissue regeneration. The average treatment cost associated with tissue engineering is reported to be in range of USD 1,800 to USD 3,000, which serves as a more viable treatment option as compared to the conventional methods (the average cost of a skin transplant ranges from USD 18,000 to USD 28,000). As a result, replacing damaged skin with skin cell sheets has become a prominent and preferred treatment option for patients.
At present, more than 160 tissue engineering products and regenerative medicine products have been / are being developed by several tissue engineering companies located across the globe. It is worth mentioning that these tissue engineering products have demonstrated the potential to enable regeneration of tissues (including the skin and bones), as well as the ability to cure some congenital abnormalities. Given the various benefits offered with such tissue engineering products, including better biocompatibility, faster tissue regeneration, easy availability and high affordability, the tissue engineering market has garnered the attention of various venture capital firms and strategic investors. In fact, industry players have raised about USD 2 billion in the recent past in order to drive research efforts aimed at exploring different types of tissue engineering products (primarily focused on bone healing, wound healing and burn healing). In addition, over 800 grants have been awarded by academic and government organizations in the tissue engineering industry. Driven by the continuous efforts of researchers and industry players, there has also been a considerable rise in the number of patents filed in this market. In recent years, through the use of novel technologies, certain complex and more sophisticated tissue reconstructions have also been successfully completed, indicating that more complex tissue engineering procedures may be possible in the near future. Considering the ongoing pace of innovation in this field, coupled to the recent shift in preference from traditional transplants procedure to tissue engineering-based regeneration products, we believe that the tissue engineering market is likely to witness significant market growth during the forecast period.
Key Companies in Tissue Engineering Market
Examples of key tissue engineering companies engaged in tissue engineering market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of tissue engineering companies is available in the full report) include AlloSource, BioTissue, Integra LifeSciences, MiMedx, Organogenesis, Smith + Nephew, Tissue Regenix and VIVEX Biologics. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the tissue engineering companies worldwide.
Recent Developments in Tissue Engineering Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of tissue engineering market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In June 2023, RegenLab entered into a collaboration with Long Island University Brooklyn with an aim to create an industrial innovation accelerator dedicated to cell therapies and tissue engineering.
- In May 2023, AlloSource launched AlloMend® Duo Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) to help surgeons repair and reconstruct soft tissue defects for long-term structural support.
Scope of the Report
The “Tissue Engineering Market, Distribution by Type of Graft (Allografts, Autografts and Xenografts), Area of Application (Bone Healing, Burn Healing, Surgical Healing, Wound Healing, and Others), Type of Material of Scaffold (Bone Tissue, Collagen-based Tissue, Human Placental Tissue, Other Animal Based Tissue, Other Human Tissue, Stem Cell and Others Tissues), Type of End User (Ambulatory Surgical Centers / Hospitals / Specialty Clinics) And Key Geographies (North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa and Rest of the World): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2035” market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market share, market forecast, market outlook and future opportunities for the tissue engineering market. The market research report features an in-depth analysis, highlighting the capabilities of various stakeholders engaged in providing the tissue engineering-based regeneration products.
Amongst other elements, the market report features:
- A detailed review of the current market landscape of tissue engineering products based on several relevant parameters, such as type of graft (allografts / autografts / xenografts), area of application (burn healing / surgical healing / soft tissue skin regeneration / wound healing), type of material of scaffold (collagen-based tissues / human placental tissues / other human tissues / other animal-based tissues / other tissues) and launch year. In addition, the chapter lists the tissue engineering companies providing tissue engineering-based skin regeneration products, along with information on their respective year of establishment, company size (very small / small / mid-sized / large / very large), location of headquarters (North America / Europe / Asia / Rest of the World) and target market (domestic only / both international and domestic).
- A detailed review of the current market landscape of tissue engineering products based on several relevant parameters, such as type of graft (allografts / xenograft), formulation of product (bone matrix / bone putty / cortical fibers / powder / putty / sheet / sponge block), type of material of scaffold (bone tissue / collagen tissue / others / stem cell) and launch year. In addition, the chapter lists the tissue engineering companies providing tissue engineering-based bone regeneration products, along with information on their respective year of establishment, company size (very small / small / mid-sized / large / very large), location of headquarters (North America / Europe / Asia / Rest of the World) and target market (domestic only / both international and domestic).
- An in-depth analysis, highlighting the market trends through six different schematic representations, including [A] a world map representation, highlighting the regional distribution of the various tissue engineering products providers, [B] a 4D bubble analysis comparing the key tissue engineering companies engaged in tissue engineering market, based on several relevant parameters (such as year of establishment, company size, number of tissue engineering based-regeneration products offered and region), [C] an insightful spider web representation of tissue engineering based-regeneration products (based on type of graft and area of application), [D] a horizontal stacked bar chart representation presenting the distribution of tissue engineering based-regeneration products providers (based on area of application and material of scaffold), [E] a vertical stacked bar chart representation of tissue engineering-based regeneration products (distribution by product formulation and type of graft) and [F] a vertical stack bar chart representation of tissue engineering based-regeneration products (distribution by region and type of market).
- An insightful competitiveness analysis of tissue engineering companies engaged in the development of tissue engineering-based regeneration products, based on several relevant parameters, such as years of experience, portfolio strength (in terms of area of applications, material of scaffold, type of graft, number of products offered), partnerships activity (in terms of number of partnerships, year of partnerships, and type of partnerships), and funding activity (in terms of number of funding instances, amount of funding, year of funding, type of funding, and number of lead investors).
- Elaborate profiles of prominent tissue engineering companies that are currently engaged in offering tissue engineering-based regeneration products. Each profile features a brief overview of the company (including information on year of establishment, number of employees, location of headquarters and key executives). Additionally, the chapter includes company’s tissue regeneration product portfolio, details related to its recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- An analysis of the various partnerships that have been inked between several stakeholders in tissue engineering market of tissue engineering-based regeneration products, during the period 2017-2022, covering various type of partnership such as mergers and acquisitions, distribution agreements, product development and commercialization agreements, product utilization agreements, R&D agreements and others, along with analysis on recent investments during the period 2018 and 2022 (till the time of analysis) including grant, debt, seed funding, venture series, IPO, private equity, private placement, other equity and others. Further, it includes analysis of other recent initiatives taken by various stakeholders engaged in tissue engineering market.
- An insightful analysis on filed / granted patents focused on tissue engineering-based regeneration products, during the period 2000-2022 (till the month when the research / analysis was conducted). The analysis highlights key details and trends associated with these patents, including patent type (granted patents / patent application / search reports / limited patent), publication year, geographical location (North America / Europe / Asia-Pacific / World Intellectual Property Organization), assigned CPC symbol, emerging focus area, type of applicant (industry / non-industry) and leading industry / non-industry players (in terms of size of intellectual property portfolio). It also includes a patent benchmarking analysis and a detailed valuation analysis.
- An analysis that provides information on more than 750 grants that were awarded to various research institutes engaged in studies related to tissue engineering-based regeneration products, during the period 2018 and 2022 (till the time of analysis). The analysis also highlights important parameters associated with grants, The analysis also highlights important parameters associated with grants, such as year of award, support period, amount awarded, funding institute, administration institute center, funding institute center, funding mechanism, spending categorization, grant type (research grants (r series) / research training and fellowships (t & f series) / program project/center grants (p series) / others), responsible study section, focus area, type of recipient organization (schools of medicine / biomedical engineering /college of engineering/ schools of arts and sciences / independent hospitals / domestic for-profits / other domestic non-profits / schools of dentistry/oral hygn / research institutes / domestic higher education / others) and prominent program officers.
The key objective of tissue engineering market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market value, statistics and future opportunity for tissue engineering market during the forecast period. Additionally, it features market size projections for the tissue engineering market, wherein both the current and upcoming opportunity is segmented across [A] type of graft (allografts / autografts / xenografts), [B] area of application (bone healing / burn healing / surgical healing / would healing / others), [C] type of material of scaffold (bone tissue, collagen-based tissue, human placental tissue, other animal-based tissue, other human tissue, stem cell and others tissues) and [D] key geographies (North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa and rest of the world). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely the conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, which represent different tracks of the industry’s evolution.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are tissue engineering products? Answer:
Tissue engineering products or therapies are tissue grafts, used for the replacement, repair or regrowth of damaged human tissue.
Question 2: How big is the tissue engineering market? Answer:
The tissue engineering market size is estimated to be worth $4 billion in 2022.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the tissue engineering market? Answer:
The tissue engineering market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9% during the forecast period 2022 - 2035.
Question 4: Who are the leading companies in the tissue engineering market? Answer:
Examples of key tissue engineering companies engaged in tissue engineering market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AlloSource, BioTissue, Integra LifeSciences, MiMedx, Organogenesis, Smith + Nephew, Tissue Regenix and VIVEX Biologics.
Question 5: How many tissue engineering products are currently offered by players engaged in the tissue engineering market? Answer:
Presently, over 150 products are offered by close to 60 tissue engineering companies engaged in the tissue engineering market.
Question 6: Which region is the hub for companies operating in the tissue engineering market? Answer:
North America and Europe, presently emerged as the key hubs, featuring the presence of highest number of tissue engineering companies.
Question 7: How much funding has been raised by players engaged in the tissue engineering market? Answer:
The players engaged in the tissue engineering market have raised over USD 2 billion in recent years, highlighting the interest of stakeholders in the regenerative medicine industry.
Question 8: Is tissue engineering a growing field? Answer:
Driven by ongoing pace of innovation in this field, coupled with the recent shift in preference from traditional transplants procedure to tissue engineered regeneration products, we believe that the tissue engineering market is likely to witness significant growth in the foreseen future.