Antibody Contract Manufacturing Market Overview
The antibody contract manufacturing market is estimated to be worth $5.3 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12% during the forecast period. Since the approval of Orthoclone OKT3® in 1986, monoclonal antibodies have become an important part of modern healthcare practices. In fact, several experts consider monoclonal antibodies to be the backbone of the biopharmaceutical industry. It is worth noting that, till date, more than 100 therapeutic monoclonal antibodies have been approved across different geographies; recent approvals include (in reverse chronological order) Adakveo® (November 2019), Beovu® (October 2019), SKYRIZI™ (April 2019) and EVENITY™ (April 2019). Owing to their high specificity and the favorable safety profile associated with the therapeutic use of such molecules, antibody based interventions presently constitute the largest class of biologics in the industry. This trend is unlikely to change in the near future as advanced variants, such as bispecific antibodies and antibody fragments-based products, are steadily gaining traction. Further, owing to legacy challenges associated with the development and production of biologics, such as advanced supply chain requirements, outsourcing antibody production operations is a popular trend.
The antibody contract manufacturing market / monoclonal antibody contract manufacturing is highly competitive, featuring companies of all sizes, some of which claim to offer end-to-end solutions, ranging from antibody development to commercial production. Historical and prevalent trends suggest that sponsor companies are likely to continue relying on contract service providers for various aspects of antibody-based product development and manufacturing. This dependence on outsourcing can be attributed to the high cost and time investment required to establish the necessary infrastructure and expertise in biologics. The competition among contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) engaged in this domain is high, with the availability of cutting-edge tools and technologies being one of the key differentiating factors that grant a competitive advantage over other players. Therefore, in order to establish a strong foothold in the market and also meet the growing demand for antibody therapeutics / reagents, CMOs are actively expanding their capacities and capabilities. Driving by the growing pipeline of antibody-based therapeutics, the antibody contract manufacturing market is likely to witness substantial market growth during the forecast period.
Recent Developments in Antibody Contract Manufacturing Market:
Several recent developments have taken place in the field of antibody contract manufacturing market. We have outlined some of these recent initiatives below. These developments, even if they took place post the release of our market report, substantiate the overall market trends that have been outlined in our analysis.
- In July 2023, TVM Capital Life Science in collaboration with Tillotts Pharma invested USD 28 million in Mage Biologics with an aim to develop innovative oral antibody therapy for ulcerative colitis.
- In June 2023, Genentech announced the FDA approval of fixed-duration bispecific antibody for patients diagnosed with relapsed/refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
- In May 2023, AbbVie announced the FDA approval of EPKINLYTM, the first and only T-cell engaging bispecific antibody approved for the treatment of adult patients suffering from relapsed or refractory (R/R) diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
Key Companies in Antibody Contract Manufacturing Market
Examples of key antibody CMO engaged in antibody contract manufacturing market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AGC Biologics, Aldevron, BioXcellence (Boehringer Ingelheim), FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies, Lonza, Merck, Novasep, Samsung Biologics and Synthon. This market report includes an easily searchable excel database of all the companies providing antibody contract manufacturing services, worldwide.
Scope of the Report
The "Antibody Contract Manufacturing Market, 2020-2030" market report features an extensive study of the current market landscape, market size, market share, market growth, market trends, market value, market forecast, market outlook, statistics and future opportunities of the antibody contract manufacturing market. The market research report also features a detailed analysis of key drivers and trends related to antibody contract manufacturing market.
Amongst other elements, the market research report includes:
- A detailed review of the overall landscape of companies, offering contract services for the manufacturing of antibodies, along with information on year of establishment, company size, scale of operation (preclinical, clinical and commercial), location of headquarters, number of manufacturing facilities and location of these facilities, type of antibody manufactured (monoclonal antibodies, bispecific antibodies and polyclonal antibodies), type of expression systems used (mammalian, microbial and others), fill / finish operations and affiliations to regulatory agencies.
- A competitiveness analysis of key players engaged in antibody contract manufacturing market, featuring an assessment based on their supplier strength (related to the experience of a contract manufacturer), and service strength (which takes into account the size of service portfolio and scale of operation).
- A benchmark analysis, highlighting the key focus areas of small, mid-sized and large companies, comparing their existing capabilities within and beyond their respective (geography-based) peer groups.
- An analysis of the various partnerships pertaining to contract manufacturing of antibodies, which have been established since 2013, based on several parameters, such as the year of agreement, type of partnership, project scale and focus therapeutic area.
- An analysis of the various expansion initiatives undertaken by service providers, in order to augment their respective antibody manufacturing capabilities, over the period 2017-2019 (till October), taking into consideration parameters, such as year of expansion, type of expansion (capacity expansion, facility expansion and new facility), type of antibodies manufactured and location of manufacturing facility.
- An estimate of the overall, installed capacity for manufacturing antibodies based on data reported by industry stakeholders in the public domain; it highlights the distribution of available antibody production capacity on the basis of company size (small, mid-sized, large and very large firms), scale of operation (preclinical, clinical and commercial), and key geographical regions (North America, Europe, Asia).
- Informed estimates of the annual commercial and clinical demand for antibodies, based on various relevant parameters, such as target patient population, dosing frequency and dose strength.
- Elaborate profiles of the key industry players that offer contract manufacturing services at all scales of operation and have more than two manufacturing facilities. Each profile features a brief overview of the company, information on its service portfolio, details related to its manufacturing capabilities and facilities, and an informed future outlook.
- A case study comparing the key characteristics of large molecule and small molecule drugs, along with details on the various steps and challenges involved in their respective manufacturing processes.
- A discussion on affiliated trends, key drivers and challenges, under a SWOT framework, which are likely to impact the industry’s evolution, including a Harvey ball analysis, highlighting the relative effect of each SWOT parameter on the overall pharmaceutical industry.
The key objective of antibody contract manufacturing market report is to provide a detailed market analysis in order to estimate the existing market size, market share, market growth, market trends, market value, market forecast, market outlook, statistics and future opportunity for antibody contract manufacturing market during the forecast period. Based on multiple parameters, such as projected growth of overall antibody-based products market, cost of goods sold and direct manufacturing costs, we have developed informed estimates on the financial evolution of the market over the forecast period 2020-2030. The market report also provides details on the likely distribution of the current and forecasted opportunity across [A] type of antibodies (monoclonal antibodies, bispecific antibodies and others), [B] company size (small, mid-sized and large / very large), [C] scale of operation (preclinical / clinical and commercial), [E] expression systems (mammalian, microbial and others), and [F] key geographical regions (North America, Europe, Asia). In order to account for future uncertainties and to add robustness to our model, we have provided three market forecast scenarios, namely conservative, base and optimistic scenarios, representing different tracks of the industry’s growth.
The opinions and insights presented in this market research report were influenced by discussions conducted with multiple stakeholders in antibody contract manufacturing market. The market report features detailed transcripts of interviews held with the following individuals:
- Dietmar Katinger, Chief Executive Officer, Polymun Scientific
- David C Cunningham, Director Corporate Development, Goodwin Biotechnology
- Claire Otjes, Assistant Marketing Manager, Batavia Biosciences
All actual figures have been sourced and analyzed from publicly available information forums and primary research discussions. Financial figures mentioned in this market research report are in USD, unless otherwise specified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What is antibody contract manufacturing? Answer:
Antibody contract manufacturing refers to manufacturing services provided by specific organizations to pharmaceutical product manufacturers for the development of bulk antibodies.
Question 2: How big is the antibody contract manufacturing market? Answer:
The antibody contract manufacturing market size is estimated to be worth $5.3 billion in 2020.
Question 3: What is the projected market growth of the antibody contract manufacturing market? Answer:
The antibody contract manufacturing market is expected to grow at compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12% during the forecast period 2020 – 2030.
Question 4: Who are the leading contract manufacturing organizations in the antibody contract manufacturing market? Answer:
Examples of key companies engaged in antibody contract manufacturing market (which have also been profiled in this market report; the complete list of companies is available in the full report) include AGC Biologics, Aldevron, BioXcellence (Boehringer Ingelheim), FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies, Lonza, Merck, Novasep, Samsung BioLogics and Synthon.
Question 5: How many companies are currently engaged in the antibody contract manufacturing market? Answer:
Presently, over 120 companies are engaged in the antibody contract manufacturing market, having the capabilities to manufacture antibody drugs.
Question 6: How many partnership deals have been inked between the companies engaged in antibody contract manufacturing market? Answer:
Over 90 partnership deals have been inked between the companies providing antibody contract manufacturing services, highlighting the consolidation efforts of stakeholders in the industry.
Question 7: How many expansion initiatives have been taken by the antibody CMO engaged in antibody contract manufacturing market over the last few years? Answer:
Over the last two years, more than 30 expansion initiatives have been taken by the antibody CMO engaged in antibody contract manufacturing market, highlighting the growing demand for the production of antibody products.